Snyder Makes Bid for Helms' Seat

Snyder is trying to capture the seat held by Sen. Jesse Helms, R-N.C., who is retiring after this session. His major competitor for the Republican nomination is former Red Cross President Elizabeth Dole, who has the support of the state's Republican leadership.

Snyder said he is running as a conservative, strict-constitutionalist Republican.

"I have a vision for this country, and I can't wait to do something about it," Snyder said. "I don't have to take a poll to know what I want to do."

He added that Helms followed the same approach.

If elected, Snyder said he would protect citizens' Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Snyder said he opposes the North American Free Trade Agreement and abortion. "I will not turn my back on the Second Amendment, the 30 million unborn babies and the jobless," he said.

Snyder said he decided to run after Dole declared her own candidacy and other Republicans, such as former Sen. Lauch Faircloth and former Charlotte Mayor Richard Vinroot, backed out.

Snyder said that when Dole decided to run he could hear opportunity knocking.

"I can't compete with her 35 years in Washington, and I don't want to because she cannot compete with my 56 years in North Carolina," he said, adding that he thinks highly of Dole.

Snyder also compared Dole to Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C. "Dole would agree with everything Edwards would agree with," he said.

Snyder said he wants a debate with Dole. "The people need to hear us debate," he said.

Snyder, a Lexington trial lawyer, said one main obstacle in his race for the primary is campaign funding.

He said that Dole is campaigning with $3 million.

Snyder said his expertise as a trial lawyer taught has him to know his jury -- the Republican voters in the primary, 40 percent of whom are Christian conservatives, he said.

Snyder said he also is concerned with putting an end to following bureaucratic red tape in exchange for needed federal funding.

"We need to bring the government back home," he said.

Snyder said his campaign is geared toward innovation. "Don't send me to the Senate if you want another Republican or if you want another conservative," he said. "Send me there if you want me to make changes."

Snyder said he is grateful for the possibility of a win in this race. "It is amazing that an unknown country trial lawyer like me now has a distinct possibility (of winning), though not yet a probability."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.