Special Election To Fill Congress Set for Today

The election, which will be from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Student Central, also will include a referendum to increase student fees.

Board of Elections Chairwoman Emily Margolis said voting is open to all students and will take place on Student Central from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

The proposed referendum, approved April 7 by a 20-2 Congress vote, will increase the present fees, which are $11.50 for undergraduates and $9.50 for graduate students. The money gained from the fee increase will be used to increase funding for student organizations and publications that received heavy budget cuts from Congress last month.

Congress Speaker Pro Tem Matt O'Brien said that if passed, the referendum will help the student body. "Student organizations are vital to the University and add life to the campus," O'Brien said. "They are so important but, because of the budget crisis, severely underfunded."

O'Brien said the fee increase is long overdue and cited the student fees of UNC peer institutions as examples that UNC should follow. O'Brien said the average student fees for UNC's peer institutions range from $19 to $23.

"The organizations and publications that need increased funding are basic services that students need and deserve," O'Brien said. "If the fees had increased with inflation, it would have made a difference, but instead they have been stagnant."

In addition to the referendum, Margolis said there are seven Congress candidates on the ballot and 13 empty seats to fill.

Student Body President Jen Daum said she thinks the election will fill the empty seats. "I hope they will fill up tomorrow," she said. "Given the incredible response that we've had for the open positions, I am sure they will."

Daum said that if the election fails to fill all the seats, she will order another special election within 30 calendar days of the beginning of the fall semester, as stated in the Student Code. "Congress has done a great job of publicizing the open seats and urging people to run," she said. "I am optimistic that the seats will be filled."