Students Air Grievances Behind Closed Doors

Daum said after the meeting that she was pleased that steps against Larson, like asking him to resign, were not necessary.

"It wasn't necessary because he answered concerns adequately," she said. "It was extremely productive."

Larson said he admitted his mistakes and took responsibility for his actions at the meeting. "I apologized and welcomed feedback on how to improve."

The meeting was originally to be held in the conference room in Suite C of the Student Union but was moved to Daum's office so it could remain confidential.

Student Body Vice President Aaron Hiller said the discussion centered on miscommunication between student leaders.

"You can't qualify Tony's zeal for student government and his dedication to Student Congress," he said. "However, in his excitement to do the job as well as he can, he has come across as overzealous."

Hiller and Daum said Larson's enthusiasm carried over into his official duties when he sent an e-mail to a group of student leaders encouraging graduate students to run for Congress.

Daum said the e-mail, which was sent about a month ago, was perceived as threatening because Larson suggested that if graduate students weren't represented in Congress that they would have to find funding elsewhere.

Larson said he regretted the tone of the e-mail and plans to send another soon that will clear up any confusion.

Hiller also questioned Larson about an "overly aggressive" approval process of Student Advisory Committee to the Chancellor appointees. "(The nominees) had already been grilled extensively, so we questioned his methods and whether it was efficient to spend three hours reinterviewing them," Hiller said.

Daum also asked Larson about the possibility that Larson is manipulating congressional redistricting. But Daum said the issue was resolved.

Hiller said that no official grievances will be filed but that "a warning has been served" to Larson.

At the beginning of the Congress meeting Tuesday night, Larson told members the meeting was of a personal nature but that "everything seems to be resolved."

Carey Richter, Student Affairs Committee chairwoman and a participant in the private meeting, said she was glad to resolve tension between branches of student government. "There will always be issues of dispute, but in the future, it will be a lot easier to get the issues settled.

"We need to focus on the road ahead."