Syndicated Cartoon Run On Monday Is Offensive To Catholic Religion

I am writing in response to the syndicated cartoon that was in The Daily Tar Heel on March 31 with the Catholic cardinal speaking to the boy. Speaking as a Catholic and someone who is proud of that heritage, I found the cartoon tasteless, offensive and directed at a minority with no real capability to defend itself. I know many Catholics, family and friends, and none of us condone the actions taken in covering up acts of molestation and sexual assault.

We all agree that these matters need to be placed before the law and thus handled appropriately. To say that I should feel attacked or a victim of the church simply because I am a member is a vicious attack aimed only to further isolate the Catholic Church and the many people who support it, regardless of its correctable ills. Including this nationally syndicated cartoon in a newspaper that is distributed on the campus of the University of North Carolina, aside from having serious First Amendment ramifications, is a travesty to a tradition of educated discussion and debate in favor of simple slander. I am proud to be a Catholic, and I will have serious problems with anyone who tries to make me ashamed of that faith.

Brian Focht

Junior

History