System Enrollment, Rejections on Rise

Last year, enrollment in the UNC system increased by 7,000 students -- 1,600 more than what UNC-system officials were anticipating. Ten of the 16 UNC-system schools enrolled more students than their target goal.

This year, UNC-system schools are aiming for an additional influx of 3,500 students, bringing the UNC system's total enrollment to more than 173,000 for the 2002-03 academic year.

But as UNC-system schools continue to admit more and more students, some campuses are having to send out more rejection letters than ever before.

At UNC-CH, officials admitted 502 fewer students despite receiving 748 more applications than last year.

Admissions officials at N.C. State University are aiming for a freshman class that will be about 180 students smaller than this year's, despite receiving about 500 more applications.

At UNC-Charlotte, admissions officials will limit the number of transfer students to the University for the first time ever.

"It was a little tight around here this year in terms of academic space," said Craig Fulton, UNC-C director of undergraduate admissions. "We have taken some steps (this year) to limit the growth.

"We will not grow the amount that we could have."

In some cases, the limits on enrollment mean officials have to turn away students that would have been admitted in previous years.

"Turning away students is part of any selective admissions office," said George Dixon, N.C. State vice provost for enrollment management. "Admissions is driven by supply and demand.

"We are having to unfortunately disappoint more students than ever that want to come to N.C. State."

The over-enrollment this year and the projected increase next year were largely responsible for the systemwide tuition increase approved by the UNC-system Board of Governors on March 6.

About $33 million of the funds generated from the systemwide increase -- $186 for in-state student and $1,478 for out-of-state students -- will go to fund enrollment growth across the UNC system.

UNC-system officials are hoping that the remaining $33 million that is needed to fully fund enrollment will come from the N.C. General Assembly when it builds a budget this summer.

"If we over-enroll and there is no money there, it is a double problem," Fulton said. About $26 million of the $66 million needed for enrollment growth would pay for the 1,600 over enrolled students this year.

Gretchen Bataille, UNC-system senior vice president for academic affairs, said that while some individual campuses are taking steps to limit enrollment, the UNC system will continue to grow.

This year's growth is part of a long-term UNC-system plan to increase access to the University. By 2010, the UNC-system's enrollment is expected to reach 220,000.

Bataille said, "What we're doing right now is trying to meet the numbers that we will be funded for."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.