The Game That Could Have Been

lose

The biggest of which, of course, was Indiana's shocking upset of Duke in the Sweet 16. No one expected it (and if you did, you either live in Indiana or you accidentally picked the wrong team) but everyone felt the repercussions. However, none were affected more than Maryland and their fans, who were desperately hoping for a Duke v. Maryland rematch in the Title game.

How fitting would that have been after Maryland's heartbreaking loss in the semis last year? After Duke rallied in the second half to beat Maryland by outscoring them 51-29 earlier this year? After Maryland's rematch victory over Duke at Cole Field House? Isn't a Duke v. Maryland Title game what we all wanted? I thought so.

So... Let's imagine for a moment that Boozer did get that put back, and Duke pulled it out against Indiana. They went on to trounce Kent State 98-70 and squeaked by Oklahoma 86-82, setting up the game we all wanted but were denied of.

Pre-game: Dicky V. is in Hotlanta to announce this match up of ACC juggernauts. He begins the pre-game by describing how much he loves Juan Dixon, Lonnie Baxter, Gary Williams, and all of the Terrapins. Then he goes on to explain how badly his Dookies are going to beat Maryland. "Jason Williams is awesome, baby!" he decrees. His pick: Duke, 85-75.

First Half: The starting lineups are Dixon, Baxter, Blake, Mouton, and Wilcox for Maryland; Williams, Boozer, Dunleavy, Duhon, and Jones.

20:00 - Wilcox and Boozer line up for the tip-off. Wilcox slaps the ball, which catches an unaware Duhon in the face, bloodying his nose. Timeout is called so he can plug his nostrils. It's going to be an ugly game.

19:50 - Dunleavy hits the first trey of the game. His father, sitting in the stands, makes no outward facial expression. He doesn't even move. It's scary. (Duke, 3-0)

17:22 - The Terrapins reply on the other end, and a shooting match ensues. Neither team misses a shot, except for Jason Williams, who misses the front end of a one-and-one. Hrmmm...(Tie, 12-12)

12:30 - Boozer gets his second foul after hacking Steve Blake on a lay-up. Blake makes a comment about Boozer's mangled face and Boozer replies with a cut about Blake's dopey-eyed look. Play continues. (Maryland, 23-21)

08:42 - Dunleavy makes his fourth trey and is 4-5 from downtown. His gargoyle father almost moves. No, my mistake. (Duke, 35-28)

04:22 - Dixon fights back, knocking down a three and drawing the foul. He misses the free throw, but gets the rebound and dunks over Boozer. The Force is strong in this one... (Tie, 42-42)

01:36 - Blake fires a quarterback-worthy pass to Wilcox off the dribble. Wilcox leaps in the air, surveys the little people below him, checks the time left on the clock, looks for his family in the stands, wipes some sweat from his brow, and then slams the ball through the hoop on his way down. Must be nice... (Maryland, 48-46)

00:02 - Williams hurls the ball from midcourt and it clangs off the rim. Boozer gets the rebound but misses the last second put back. Hrmmm... (Tie, 50-50)

Halftime: Dicky V. comments on the resiliency of the Terrapins and the skill of the Blue Devils. Then Greg Gumbel appears, angry that Vitale has taken over his spot. A scuffle ensues and Dicky clobbers Gumbel with a right hook. He hides Greg's body under the desk and continues with his halftime analysis. "That right hook, it's awesome, baby!"

Second Half: Word has reached the press box that Steve Blake slipped in the locker room and sprained his ankle, so he won't be playing in the second half. Maryland fans get antsy.

20:00 - Maryland comes out on the floor with a surprising replacement at point guard: Gary Williams! Duke is so surprised that Williams drives past a sleeping Jones for an easy lay-up. (Maryland, 52-50)

16:53 - Gary Williams drains a three for his 15th consecutive point, running the Duke defense into the ground. But his hip pops out on his landing and he is helped back to the bench, fists in the air and a smile on his face. (Maryland, 65-57)

14:01 - Not to be outdone, Coach Kzryzewski makes a few phone calls, and soon the Ambassador of Duke basketball, Shane Battier, comes out of the crowd to join his former team. He challenges Baxter in the post and brings Duke back in the game. (Maryland, 73-70)

08:36 - Blake returns to the game with a heavily taped ankle. Williams looks to the sidelines for advice from Coach K, cradling the ball in his arms to avoid another steal. So, instead Blake yanks down William's shorts. Williams drops the ball and Blake takes it to the hoop. (Maryland, 85-82)

04:34 - Wilcox goes for a jam, but accidentally touches the furrowed head of Battier. Wilcox is so grossed out that he runs to the locker room and refuses to come out till the end of the game. (Tie, 91-91)

02:22 - With the score tied, Dixon and Williams begin a shooting contest. Dixon hits one off the scorer's table, off the scoreboard, nothing but net. Williams goes behind the back, off Dunleavy's father's head (he doesn't flinch), nothing but net. (Tie, 97-97)

00:20 - Dixon drives to the hoop in the waning seconds for the lead. He dematerializes, reappears on the other side of Jones, splits into two people, and gives himself an alley-oop. I mean, what can't he do? (Maryland, 103-99)

00:03 - Duhon drives to the hoop and dishes out to Williams who drains a three and gets fouled by Mouton. Oh, the horror... (Maryland, 103-102)

00:00 - Williams steps to the line and chokes. The ball veers right, and is rebounded by Boozer. But his put back rolls over the back of the hoop and Baxter gets the ball. Game over. Both Williams and Boozer missed the last shots of their college careers. (Maryland 103-102)

There you have it. The game as it should've been played. Wouldn't that have been a lot more interesting?

Adam Shupe has way too much extra time on his hands, even though he doesn't know where it is all going... Reach him at shupe@email.unc.edu.