Tour Brings Dark Places to Light

The tour is conducted each semester to locate broken lights and dark areas around campus.

The tour was led by Jerry Lloyd, operations manager of electrical services for the University, and Phil Mazarick, engineering technician.

Police Chief Derek Poarch and Lt. Angela Carmon also participated.

"The lighting system is a very real part of the security plan for campus," said Pat Andrews, manager of UNC electrical systems. "We have these tours twice a year, but we have people working on campus 24/7."

Lloyd said that workers in his office make a list of the lighting problems discovered during the tour and that if the jobs are easy enough to fix, they will get done as soon as today.

The tour began in the parking lot behind Hill Hall. It went through McCorkle Place, where a dark area was spotted next to the new College of Arts and Sciences building, which is under construction.

Lloyd said widespread construction across campus has caused problems in lighting. Because of the work sites, lights often have to be removed. Closer to Polk Place, construction also caused a problem of darkness between Greenlaw and Murphey halls.

"It seems to me the University would be better served to either put up temporary lighting or close the path," Poarch said about the pathway.

Additional lighting also was suggested on Raleigh Road near Aycock Residence Hall, the back corner of Bynum Hall and for a handicap ramp behind Hill Hall. Because foliage blocked a light in front of Fetzer Gym, officials also suggested a flood light on the building.

Replacement lights were needed for the back of Venable and Phillips halls.

Lloyd also discussed a potential problem near Carroll Hall for next year. The renovation of Memorial Hall might cause the lighting corridor's path to be moved. No matter the changes, Lloyd said, the corridor will be maintained.

One lighting problem already is being worked on. Lloyd said lights soon will be installed on the sides of Lenoir Dining Hall and Davis Library to alleviate darkness between the buildings.

Colin Christian, chairman of the Graduate and Professional School Federation's transportation and student services committee, said he saw no major problems on the tour. "Obviously construction is an issue, but I think they know what the issues are," he said.

Lloyd said he greatly welcomes student input. "As quick as we know these things is as quick as we respond," he said. He pointed out that each light has a unique number on its pole. He encouraged students to call the University's electrical services at 962-8394 and report any lighting problems they see.