UNC Academic Diversity Story Shows Perspective On Choices of Majors

I wish to respond to Thursday's article titled "Classroom Diversity Varies Widely Among Majors."

To preface, the article, although having minute pitfalls, was well-researched and covered much of the University campus.

I also would like to state that I am Caucasian in skin tone.

I, myself, am a third year history and political science major that has enjoyed the educational fruits of this campus.

Much of intellectual time here has been focused upon understanding the "other" and deciding where my true path in life is located.

That being said, I regret one thing since I have been here. I should have majored in Afro-American studies.

My pursuits within, specifically, the Department of History has been directed toward modern American history trying to see it from the black citizen's perspective. I have grown an appreciation for the true horrors of American slavery, the grave injustices our legal system places upon vast amounts of minorities and how no where in this great land has racism been completely abolished.

I am planning a history honors thesis on the evolution of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund and its direction of major Supreme Court Cases, including the well-known Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas. With all due respect to the wonderful history professors that I have had the pleasure to work with, many AFAM professors have become my main advisers in my thesis ambitions. That is no coincidence.

For some reason, while a freshman and sophomore, I never contemplated being an AFAM major, even though my passions were in that field -- maybe it was because that was not "expected of me" or maybe, in all honesty, I did not think I belonged.

Whatever the reasons, my decision, or lack thereof, was due to my insecurities, and if I had to do all over again, my diploma next year would say Afro-American studies and political science major.

Jonathan T. Hoffman

Junior

History and Political Science