UNC, NIH Plan Lab Review

UNC officials met this week with NIH representatives in Washington to discuss ways to handle alleged violations.

Investigators from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals leveled the charges against UNC last week based on the findings of an undercover PETA investigator.

Tony Waldrop, vice chancellor for research and graduate studies, said the meetings, which took place in the Washington, D.C., area, were open discussions with Nelson Garnett, director of the Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare, and other NIH officials about investigation strategies. The NIH awards grants to universities to pursue research.

"We wanted to be sure to let them know that we have a concrete plan to address all allegations and that we have a strong commitment to a high-quality of care for lab animals," Waldrop said.

The meetings came almost a week after PETA released video footage showing alleged severe mistreatment of lab animals by UNC researchers on campus. PETA investigator Kate Turlington, hired in October as a UNC lab researcher, used a hidden camera to videotape the conduct of other research lab workers.

Lester Kwock, chairman of UNC's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, also took part in Tuesday's meetings and described them as productive. "We wanted to let the NIH know how we are moving on the situation, and we also wanted to find out from them if we are handling it appropriately," he said.

Kwock said initial investigation planning began last Thursday after officials acknowledged PETA's accusations at an afternoon press conference.

He said that every allegation issued on PETA's Web site and in the undercover video was broken down and that five subcommittees of IACUC were formed to investigate several separate allegations.

Along with the formation of the committees, Kwock said that one individual was suspended immediately and that there is a "gray area" involved with other workers in the lab.

"The worker suspended admitted to us that what he did on the (PETA) tape were not IACUC policies, so he was suspended because he was clearly guilty," he said.

Kwock said the names of the accused will not be released because investigations are ongoing.

Waldrop said the committees are composed of members of IACUC as well as UNC faculty and national experts from outside of the University.

Waldrop added that he will head another subcommittee, composed of non-IACUC members, that will investigate whether the IACUC was involved with any misconduct connected to the incident.

"I think (Waldrop's) subcommittee is an extremely appropriate external review of IACUC to see whether there was any wrong action made," Kwock said.

But Kwock said informing the NIH about the committee work was only part of the reason for the meetings.

According to a recent study, UNC now ranks 12th nationally in the amount of NIH funding received yearly. The report stated that the University received $236.8 million from the NIH in 2001.

"It is important for us to be in constant contact with NIH to understand if they have any specific instructions," Kwock said. "If widespread misconduct is found, NIH could shut us down, and we would lose well over $100 million in funding."

But Kwock added that he does not believe the University is in danger of losing any NIH funding.

"I don't believe the NIH will find that actions are so egregious to shut us down," he said. "We believe these are isolated incidences, and we are determined to continue our quality of treatment."

NIH spokesman Don Ralbovsky said any action taken would depend on the magnitude of the complaint issued by PETA. "It would take an extremely dangerous pattern of research violations to consider serious action taken against the University," Ralbovsky said.

PETA spokeswoman Mary Beth Sweetland said the animal rights group originally planned to issue a formal complaint to the NIH on Wednesday. But she said the complaint will not be filed until Monday to allow time to review 60 tapes related to the allegations.

Provost Robert Shelton said Waldrop and Kwock are handling the situation properly and said he is optimistic that the investigation will be handled correctly.

"I am pleased that this is being handled so aggressively," he said. "We are getting substantive information from the NIH. ... We need to get all the facts, and once we know them all, then we can proceed."