White Ribbon Campaign This Week; Men, Pledge Support, Wear a Ribbon

In light of the recent attacks on women on our campus, I feel it's my responsibility to speak out. I participate with a group of campus men who frequently discuss how we, as men, are lucky to be able to walk on campus at night and never question our safety in doing so. This is our privilege, but for over half of our campus, this is not the case.

And the problem is not at the top of campus official's agendas. With frequent discussion on how night parking permits will force even more students and faculty to walk from further away to campus at night, I feel it's my duty to speak out in opposition to this new amendment designed to aid in our campus budget shortfalls.

Don't trade the safety of women on this campus for money needed to pay for other goals. One of the safest options women on campus have, especially if they live in a sorority house or apartment near by, is to drive to campus when they need to use the library or meet a friend on campus at night. This new fund-raising plan is going to lead to more assault on and around our campus.

Women on campus are starting to speak out about this issue, but it's time we men see our privilege in feeling safe, and ask campus officials to provide the same for the women on campus.

This week is UNC's White Ribbon Campaign, designed to help men vocalize their support for women, and our desire to aid them in feeling safe in their homes, dorms and on their own campus.

So, I am asking men to find us in the Pit, sign a pledge and help us show campus officials that this is an issue all Carolina students care about.

David Bennett

Sophomore

History

Chairman, NC Fellas