Basking in The Warmth Of Television

"Seinfeld" was a great pick for No. 1. Who doesn't laugh at the Soup Nazi or the sound of "Helloooo Newman"? George Costanza is a universal figure for liars, cheaters, jerks and good friends.

Everyone has his own favorite shows that portray time, culture and maybe even a generation.

To stereotype for a moment, old folks watch reruns of "Matlock" and "The Andy Griffith Show" like there is no tomorrow. Our parents talk about how "Happy Days" gave a glimpse into what life was way back when. The Fonz and Vinny Barbarino are relics.

If the list by TV Guide was supposed to be reflective of a younger generation, then it missed a few. That's where my job comes in.

I've compiled a short list or attempted to allude to a number of shows that made us laugh or are worthy of being called "great." Why weren't "Saved By The Bell," "Doogie Howser, MD" or "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" on the list?

This is college life, and no one has time for TV anymore. Remember what life was like before cars? Think middle school without all the stupid dances. TV entertained us.

To quote Homer J. Simpson, "Let us all bask in television's warm glowing warming glow."

First on my list of those questionably left off is the classic smart nerd, Steve Urkel, chasing after the hot-girl-next-door, Laura. TGIF and "Family Matters" gave me something to do when mom wasn't willing to drive me anywhere. So the acting may not have been great and the jokes were corny, but how could you not watch "Family Matters"? How could you not laugh or feel for Steve through all his goofs?

Speaking of goofs, no one should forget Screech Powers. Leaving "Saved By The Bell" off the Top 50 list is a mockery, a travesty. Could you grow up in the '90s without watching Zack and Co.? What didn't it teach us about growing up and being cool?

Jessie Spano taught us not to do drugs (caffeine pills) because they make us "so excited." Stressing over grades is something no one at Carolina has ever done, right?

Lisa Turtle taught us not to drink and drive or we will wreck our parents' BMWs and not be able to pay for them. Shame! She also taught us how to tactfully turn down that not-so-cool pursuer. (Nowadays, Screech would get a nasty restraining order.)

Zack Morris is the ultimate cool guy. He's even on "NYPD Blue."

Who had the first cell phone (Despite the fact it was probably just a cordless house phone, the coolness factor was still there for ordering pizza in detention)?

Dating Kelly Kapowski and never going to class sounds like the ideal life.

More importantly, "Saved By The Bell" taught us about harmony. How else would a feminist date a jock or a hot girl date a nice guy? Talk about an ideal world.

Everything important I learned from Bayside High.

There are so many other high-quality shows that weren't mentioned by TV Guide.

I know, thanks to the Fresh Prince, that coolness is wearing your blazer inside out and macking on Tyra Banks.

The General Lee versus KITT would be the ultimate drag race ("Knight Rider" and "Dukes of Hazzard"). Winnie Cooper is the perfect girl next door, but what she did to Kevin was wrong ("The Wonder Years").

How did no one ever find out that Vicki was a robot in "Small Wonder?" How come I didn't have a witty housekeeper like Mr. Belvedere to solve all of my problems?

Why did Balki Bartokomous leave the Isles of Mypos to live with cousin Larry ("Perfect Strangers")? And why was Balki so funny? How did Carlton Banks (Alfonso Ribeiro) get to hang with Ricky Schroder in "Silver Spoons?" These are the questions that plague mankind today.

TV Guide just has no idea.

If you want to tell me about your favorite '80s or early '90s show, as long as it's not "Full House, e-mail me at tompkins@email.unc.edu.