Ducote to Focus On Student Voice As ASG President

Jonathan Ducote was voted in as the next president of the association May 4, beating James Haltom and Greg Drumwright.

"I can't wait to get going," the N.C. State University rising junior said minutes after his election. "It's time to go."

After holding the position of ASG treasurer in 2001-02, Ducote said he looks forward to working in a new capacity.

"I'm excited about the possibilities for next year," he said.

Ducote's running mate, N.C. Central University student Kian Brown will serve as the 2002-03 ASG senior vice president.

Prior to the vote, many ASG delegates, including UNC-Chapel Hill Student Body President Jen Daum, endorsed Ducote.

"Next year is a big year," Daum said. "The association will have lots of money, and we need somebody in the position that we can trust. I give my support to Jonathan Ducote."

Ducote and Brown received 31 votes from the ASG delegates, while UNC-CH junior James Haltom and his running mate received 11 votes. Greg Drumwright, a junior at N.C. Agricultural & Technical State University, and his running mate received six votes.

The UNC-CH delegates were Daum, junior Melody Rodgers, and former UNC-CH Student Body President Justin Young. Ducote received two of the Chapel Hill delegation's three votes.

"I am really excited about working with Jonathan and Kian next year," Daum said after hearing the election results. "I know the association is in good hands."

Ducote, who will be the only student to sit on the UNC-system Board of Governors, said his main focus for the upcoming year is to ensure that student voices are heard and to enhance the presence of the ASG on the university system and state levels.

"We are going to get the thoughts and issues of the students of North Carolina to the Board of Governors and the (N.C.) General Assembly," he said. "I'll be going down to Raleigh two times a week this summer to let them know students are ready to be heard."

Ducote also said he will lead the association toward being active in the communities surrounding the 16 system campuses. He said the ASG's community involvement will focus on registering voters and informing citizens of the state about higher education issues.

"Overall, we will raise the level of involvement and energy," Ducote said.

Internally, the ASG will remain much the same, Ducote said. But he said a few titles will be tweaked and the ad hoc Finance Committee will become a permanent committee.

Though he will closely monitor the allocation of the association's recently approved $165,000 budget, Ducote said he is not a fan of micromanagement.

"You pick the best people for a job and let them go with it," he said.

The BOG approved the organization's budget -- funded by a $1 student fee increase -- at its May 10 meeting.

Outgoing ASG President Andrew Payne said he will provide support and assistance for Ducote during the transition period. He said he will be particularly vigilant about keeping the ASG on track during the change in leadership.

"I will make sure we are fulfilling our promise to students," Payne said. "I'm excited about the future of the association. The body elected two outstanding student leaders.

"(ASG) is really going to empower and make a difference for students next year."

Ducote was equally optimistic about the future of ASG.

"I'm excited," he said. "It's a new day in the fight for student advocacy."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.