Fewer Jobs Mean More UNC Students

Reports from the University Registrar's office state that a total of 7,340 students are enrolled in classes for both summer sessions.

The number of attendees might change throughout this week as students continue to drop classes in order to meet University withdrawal deadlines.

This is the highest summer school enrollment in the past four years.

Last year, 7,139 students attended the summer sessions. During the 2000 and 1999 summer sessions, the numbers of attendees were 6,688 and 6,873, respectively.

Although there was a rise in registration this summer, a total of 16 classes originally scheduled for summer were canceled by the University in anticipation of additional state budget cuts.

Because of state budget woes, the UNC system submitted proposals for budget cut scenarios this April.

The proposals were a response to Gov. Mike Easley's request in March that all state agencies brace for budget cuts. UNC-CH officials proposed a 4 percent cut, which included a reduction in summer instruction, as well as in library funding and faculty and staff positions.

Some students said one probable reason behind this year's increase of summer school attendance is the lack of available jobs, the result of an unstable economy.

Reports from University Career Services state that graduate and law schools applications have also increased in light of a tighter job market.

Although there are some available jobs, many students have opted to take classes during the summer in lieu of working in positions that might not be related to their majors.

Darah McClain, a sophomore psychology major from Charlotte, said she was unhappy with her search for an internship.

"I was disappointed in the number of available internships within my major here in Chapel Hill." McClain said she thought she did not have support during her search for an internship and did not find anything that would allow her to gain more experience in her field.

But other students said they were able to find jobs or internships but decided to stay in Chapel Hill to take courses.

Sophomore Deanna Carvalho, a journalism major from Charlotte, said she decided to take summer courses in order to receive more credit hours. Carvalho said she turned down an internship in Charlotte and then was unable to secure an internship locally.

Recent graduate Lauren Sumner said she landed a graphic design job after interviewing for about five months.

"The economy is not as good as it had been in past years, and I think a lot of people who have just graduated have had trouble getting jobs," Sumner said.

Most students said attending summer school gives them the opportunity to fulfill major perspectives and, for some, to complete final graduation requirements.

Sophomore Allison Osborne, a biology major from Greensboro, said she decided to take classes to fulfill some of her major requirements.

"I heard that Physics 26 and Physics 27 were easier to take during summer school, so I decided to give it a try."