It s Great to Have the Last Word

See, by the time this column is published (basically whenever I get my lazy ass in gear to do it), the final edition of the DTH will have already been out for hours. So I guess I better catch up on all the final thoughts, farewells, thanks and apologies that everyone else already made you read earlier this week. So here goes.

I think people spend too much time protesting and not enough time taking action. I think bullhorns and megaphones are the devil. So is Moeser. You don't need to yell to be heard. People pay much more attention to a touch on the shoulder than a voice in their ear. So reach out and connect with people, don't just yell at them.

Speaking of Moeser, I think he gets a lot of unnecessary flak for being such a money-grubber. Maybe it is true and maybe it is not. How many of you are actually in South Building seeing how he does his business? Spend a few days with him and then you can talk about how diabolical he is. He is still the devil, though.

I think reality shows like Survivor, Amazing Race, and Fear Factor are ridiculous. And addicting. For that they should be outlawed. Not Dismissed though, that show is funny.

I think people should stop being such pansies about the recent basketball season. Yes, we broke almost every record for being the worst team ever. So what? We have nowhere to go but up, right? And lay off of Doherty. No he hasn't made the right decisions every time. But if you think you can, you are welcome to try. We knew it was going to be a hard year coming in, so quit trying to point the finger and suck it up. And for Boone, Fingelton, and Morrison: good riddance. We do not want players who do not want to play here.

South Campus is not as bad as everyone thinks. I lived there for two years and I should know. And Hinton James is definitely the best dorm down there. Take for instance the Beach Party that we are having today. That is because we rule. Go HoJo.

The DTH is a great newspaper (no they did not pay me to say that). Yes, sometimes there is bias in the paper. It happens. Get over it. It is a extremely liberal and opinionated campus and those feelings are occasionally going to transfer over into the print no matter how hard we try to stop it. BTW, congratulations to Rachel Carter on a job well done on her Johanna Howell article.

Yes, I thought the columns were funny this semester, too. No, I did not like Johanna Costa's column, either. Sorry, Johanna. Yes, my column will be here next semester. No, I don't know if it will be in the print edition, though I hope so.

I could go on like this, but it is a beautiful day outside and I want to go play, so let's move on to the rest. Farewell to all the seniors. There are a bunch of you and I'm not going to put all your names down here. I will, however, say thanks to Rachel and Owen for bringing some realism to an overly ditzy newsroom. You guys were great, and it makes me wish I had gotten on the sports desk after all.

I would like to thank my girlfriend, Samantha for putting up with my column this semester and getting that purple ink out of my clothes. No, I did not steal them. I would also like to thank Kate Hartig for letting me see the print edition for at least one semester. When you suddenly cut my column just as it was gaining popularity, it gave me the ambition to get back again next year. I'd also like to send a shout-out to Sweet 7, who will be dispersing as of next year. Good times, you guys.

Lastly, I would like to apologize to those who have been reading this column as it changed from advice column to ranting column, from Mondays to Wednesdays. I promise I will try to be more consistent next year. But if you even remotely enjoyed what I have created this semester, then that makes me happy.

I guess that is it. Good luck on your exams, everyone. Oh yeah, and Dook sucks.

Adam Shupe will be assuming the role of Online Editor for the 2002-2003 academic year. So, if you have any questions or comments about the online site, you can reach him at shupe@email.unc.edu.