Pacino, Williams Share Deadly Secrets

This idea is one of many explored by the darkly engaging film "Insomnia," directed by Christopher Nolan and written by the creators of the 1997 Norwegian film of the same title.

The story begins with L.A. detectives Will Dormer (Al Pacino) and his partner Hap Eckhart (Martin Donovan) flying over the icy Alaskan landscape to the remote town of Nightmute. They've been called to help investigate the murder of a 17-year-old girl.

The trip north is actually an opportunity for unhindered police work, as the two have internal affairs breathing down their necks due to alleged misconduct. Unfortunately, the situation gets more complicated for Dormer when a trap he devises for the murderer goes horribly wrong and he mistakenly kills Eckhart, who was set to cut a deal with internal affairs officials. Worse still, the only witness to the death is mystery writer and prime murder suspect Walter Finch (Robin Williams). Williams wonderfully goes against typecasting, portraying the quietly malevolent author.

Thanks to these grave circumstances and the fact that the Nightmute sun never sets during this time of year, Dormer can't sleep a wink. Nothing will keep the light from bathing his hotel room.

The detective gives much away with his tired and weary eyes. They betray his frustration with internal affairs' attempts to interfere in the lives of "real cops." His eyes ignite only when his superior abilities as a cop are tested -- discovering clues that the local authorities didn't see, becoming the interrogator and having a final showdown with the killer.

Pacino gives a towering performance as the embattled detective -- it's his best in years. His sense of isolation becomes more and more palpable as Ellie (Hilary Swank), the young local officer who has admired and written about his work, continues to investigate Eckhart's death.

"Insomnia" is hardly a murder mystery -- the killer's identity is clear halfway through. Rather, the film deals with Dormer's guilt and sleep deprivation in addition to his unique relationship with Finch.

This twist is proves successful thanks to Nolan, director of 2000's "Memento" and one of film's most promising directing talents. Nolan has matured with "Insomnia." While "Insomnia" is not as gimmicky as "Memento," it moves at a pace slow enough to let Dormer's troubles seep in, and the filmmakers cleverly mix light and darkness and use jarring flashback to create a stunning visual display. Nolan is also wise enough to stand back and allow Pacino and Williams to ring true in their roles.

At its heart, "Insomnia" is an intense study of character. The once-heroic Dormer must learn to live with himself when he cannot sleep away his guilt and when not even darkness will hide his faults.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can

be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.