Schools Beyond Capacity

An analysis of local school shows that Chapel Hill High School was 10 percent over capacity last year.

"There have been no changes," said Planning Director Craig Benedict during the one-hour quarterly public hearing at the Orange County Courthouse in Hillsborough.

Benedict analyzed Orange County's student progression and growth compared with other suburban areas across the nation such as the Baltimore and the Washington, D.C., areas.

"We must address the concerns of the municipalities and the community so that we stride to make them all feel comfortable during this process," said board Chairman Barry Jacobs.

In the School Adequate Public Facilities Ordinance, originally drafted in November 2000, the seven schools listed as "over-capacitated" are Phillips Middle School, Culbreth Middle School, Ephesus Road Elementary School, McDougle Elementary School, Frank Porter Graham Elementary School, Seawell Elementary School and Chapel Hill High School.

Overcrowding as measured by percentage within primary and secondary levels shows that elementary schools are at 105 percent capacity, middle schools are at 107 percent and high schools are at 110 percent.

The planning director also was probed by the commissioners on "what points are there invested rights on the timing of the adequate public school issuance" as it shifted by way of the revised memorandum of understanding.

"It will evolve as the planning office moves forward with land development changes," Benedict said.

Commissioners also discussed schools within the county that are listed as being "at capacity" by the Schools Adequate Public Facilities Ordinance.

Steve Scroggs, assistant superintend for support services, said Scroggs Elementary School, Glenwood Elementary School, Smith Middle School and East Chapel Hill High School are within this "at capacity" range.

Scroggs also projected that public high schools in the area will be at more than 110 percent capacity a year from now.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.