Town Considers Changing Policy For Halloween

Police Chief Gregg Jarvies says the town should repeal some of the crowd control procedures put in place for last year's bash.

Reverting back to the public safety polices that governed Halloween 2000, traffic will be able to enter the downtown area again, although barricades will remain on Franklin Street at Church Street and Boundary Street. Alcohol and weapons checks will also remain part of the program.

The changes must still be approved by the Chapel Hill Town Council.

Last year, the police erected barriers at nearly all the major intersections on the town's circumference within a 1 1/2-mile radius of the downtown area. These barricades were intended to reduce crowd size and divert incoming traffic so fewer people would crowd the downtown area, said Chapel Hill Police Chief Gregg Jarvies.

In addition to the barriers, the town had 300 law enforcement officials on hand to control the crowd. The total cost of running and policing the festivities was $112,000.

While the crowd size was reduced from a previous 50,000 revelers to under 30,000, the barriers and their effects on the party atmosphere angered some merchants, residents and visitors alike. Extreme traffic congestion resulted, and many residents felt their freedom to move had been restricted.

Jarvies and the town hope to combat traffic congestion by potentially using a shuttle service originating at University Mall and dropping passengers off on Franklin Street.

"We hope this solution would allow traffic to be reduced in the downtown area while still allowing residents their freedom of movement," he said.

Bar and restaurant owners expressed frustration, voicing their grievances at a public forum held last week. They also reported to the police directly that they lost money because the big profits that are normally associated with the Halloween celebration did not materialize as they had expected.

Jarvies pointed out that other merchants were delighted with the results of last year's public safety measure because litter, damage and vandalism were reduced. He emphasized that, "Our approach to Halloween is essentially crowd safety."

"The more people you have, the more things can get out of hand, but if the citizens of our town want to participate, it is our responsibility to manage it."

Managing Halloween crowds of such proportions is nothing new to a police department well-acquainted with large-scale gatherings that have traditionally occurred following major UNC basketball and football victories.

Last year's celebration had a stronger undertone of concern due to the still-fresh events of Sept. 11 and numerous anthrax scares the town had received in the aftermath. The more stringent policies were a direct result of the more intense environment that such scares had fostered.

The change in policy for this year reflects an underlying change in the country and town's mood. Jarvies and the department do not perceive the same threats to Chapel Hill that they did last year.

"We just want to plan the best for the community and for the people who are in town visiting," he said. "We hope they have a good time, but we also want them to be safe."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.