Vice Chancellor Moore to Leave University for Boston

She will leave UNC to begin her new job in August.

Moore has been with the University since 1997 and was instrumental in the implementation of the Carolina Computing Initiative.

Moore is from Boston and worked at Boston College before coming to UNC.

"Boston's my home, so that obviously was one of the drivers in this decision," she said.

But she said accepting the position was a difficult decision for her to make.

Moore also said that although the cycles of budget cuts over the years are not conducive to building new programs, she believes UNC has one of the best technology programs in the nation.

"I am absolutely thrilled with my years at Carolina, but it's time to move on," she said.

Provost Robert Shelton said Moore's leaving is a tremendous loss for the University.

"Marian has been an excellent leader in an area that is very difficult," he said.

There are enormous demands placed on information technology officials, Shelton said.

He called Moore's work with CCI and the Knowledge Works program, which encourages faculty to use technology in classrooms, an asset to the University.

Shelton said Moore is respected and well-liked by faculty and said that has helped information technology use to develop and grow on campus. "I'm most impressed with the way she resonates with and communicates with faculty."

Chancellor James Moeser issued a statement May 8 calling Moore's contributions to the University "invaluable."

"Under Vice Chancellor Moore, Carolina has become the leader in information technology among major public universities because of the success of the Carolina Computing Initiative, wireless technology deployment and other innovative programs," he stated.

Moore said she is certain that work on CCI and other technology issues will continue smoothly after she leaves.

"We've done a spectacular job with technology, but it's not me -- it's the faculty, staff and students I work with," she said. "All these things are going to keep rolling along."

Moore said the University recently renewed its contract with IBM to continue CCI and that IBM is extending its grant program to help faculty use technology in their classrooms.

Moore also has been instrumental in the fight to ensure that all off-campus students have access to the Internet. But she said it would be impossible for the University to subsidize off-campus connection, especially during a budget crisis.

She said it might be feasible in a major market but that UNC cannot run its network off campus and that Chapel Hill does not have enough competition among high-speed online providers to allow the University to bargain for better rates for students.

Shelton said the search for a new vice chancellor for information technology has not yet begun but that when it does, he will look for someone with technological expertise, problem-solving skills and a familiarity with research universities. He said an interim vice chancellor will hold the position until the University finishes its budget deliberations.