Aldermen Postpone Budget

The aldermen decided to adopt an interim budget June 25 and delay the permanent one until July.

Carrboro Town Manager Bob Morgan's Tuesday night announcement came in the midst of the Board of Aldermen's efforts to find what Morgan said could not be found -- fat.

"I have this budget worked so tightly, I'm concerned that we might run out of money," Morgan said.

"If we cut anything else, we will have to start cutting programs."

Alderman John Herrera disagreed with the manager's assessment.

"I respect your position, Mr. Manager, but I have to disagree," Herrera said. "We are in a situation where all of these programs are worthy programs, but we are just going to have to bite the bullet."

Before the budget revisions began, Alderman Alex Zaffron proposed that the board essentially put off the adoption of its final budget, originally scheduled for June 25.

What Zaffron proposed was that the board adopt an interim budget June 25. This will give the manager's staff time to prepare a final budget for the next month, a document that would be put to the vote July 23.

The benefit of creating an interim budget is two-fold, Zaffron said.

"This will allow us to wait and see what additional forms of revenue we will receive from the state and others," he said. "This will also allow us to hold off on approving a tax increase until we know absolutely that we will need it."

This proposal gained acceptance among the majority of the board members, especially when Alderman Joal Broun discussed her meeting with other municipal officials at the state capital in Raleigh.

"There were about 250 elected officials all looking for their state representatives," she said. "They made it very clear how unhappy people are with the idea of withholding funds."

There are two bills in the legislature which could prevent the governor from withholding local revenue as he has done in years past. Broun said the House version of the bill has gained popular support from municipal leaders for the restrictions it places on Gov. Mike Easley's ability to withhold funds earmarked for local governments.

The board waded through several budget line items, with numerous proposals coming from Alderman Mark Dorosin.

Dorosin rattled off a series of proposed budget reductions, including the elimination of the Century Center cybrary, cancellation of funds tagged for the Economic Commission and a reduction of contributions to the Carrboro ArtsCenter. The board voted to cancel the cybrary while not altering the others. Dorosin said he thinks these projects are not paying back what the town is putting in.

"I just feel like we aren't getting our money's worth."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.