Bresciani to Carry On Kitchen's Work; Search Not Yet Begun

Bresciani came to the University four years ago after serving as interim vice chancellor for student affairs at the University of Nebraska at Kearney. He replaces Sue Kitchen, who announced last week that she was stepping down for personal reasons.

"I'm very excited about starting this new position," Bresciani said.

The vice chancellor for student affairs serves as a liaison between administration and students and helps to understand the needs and wants of students, Bresciani said. The Office of Student Affairs is composed of 13 departments, including the Campus Y, Housing and Residential Education and Student Health Services. These departments work to provide services for students outside of the classroom setting, Bresciani said.

The department directors work closely with the Office of Student Affairs administration to ensure quality student services.

Robert Wirag, director of Student Health Services, said he thinks the position of vice chancellor for student affairs requires unique qualities like excellent communication skills and public relations experience. The job also requires additional leadership responsibilities.

Wirag said he has worked closely with Bresciani and that he believes the program has prospered under Bresciani's leadership.

Christopher Payne, director of housing and residential education, said the vice chancellor's office is lucky to have such a strong leadership team. He said Bresciani has a wide range of abilities and experiences that will help him to tackle this new interim position.

Chancellor James Moeser said the search for a permanent vice chancellor for student affairs will not begin just yet.

Moeser and Provost Robert Shelton will first form a committee to evaluate organizational structures within the department to ensure no changes need to be made before the search begins.

The search for a permanent vice chancellor for student affairs may be long, but Moeser said he has full confidence that Bresciani can handle the job while the search is conducted. "Dean Bresciani is such a capable person," he said.

Moeser said he hopes the nationwide search will begin near the end of the fall semester. He said he expects it to take several months.

Bresciani said he is excited about working closely with academic affairs and working on the dramatic changes that have occurred on South Campus.

Bresciani said most his work will be a continuation of programs Kitchen put into motion. He said he is enthusiastic about his interim position but that he has big shoes to fill.