Budget Cuts Endanger Opportunities Provided at Area Community Colleges

When Cooper Tools, Nortel, Alcatel and other major Triangle area employers downsized or laid off a large percentage of their workforce this year, scores of people found themselves unemployed. Little did 15 of these people know that their fate would bring them together to relearn basic math in one of Wake Tech's Adult Education classes. This class prepares students for developmental, pre-curriculum math that will, in turn, lead to a certificate or diploma program at Wake Tech.

When these students have completed this course of study and have moved on, will others with similar needs be allowed the same opportunity?

The outlook is doubtful if North Carolina's community college budget is cut more than 7 percent and not allowed to benefit from money normally received in the system as a result of annual enrollment growth. At a time when so many N.C. citizens are seeking to improve their marketability through programs of study at Wake Tech, this door of opportunity may be closing.

The ILC provides a triage of education support options for students who need to brush up on their skills in order to begin programs of study.

For the 15 students who found themselves in one of these programs, they are on their way. They are counting on Wake Tech to provide them with the programs, instructors and support services that they will need to be successful. The support program in which they are currently enrolled has grown in enrollment by 35 percent since last summer, and there is no sign of that rate slowing down.

As this program and many others in the community college system respond to the needs of their service areas, community colleges provide a source of hope for all of us who believe in the American dream of prosperity through affordable education.

These 15 citizens found the community college doors open to them regardless of their ability levels. If the community college budget is cut more than 7 percent, this already lean-operating system will be forced to close its doors to many people in the community.

Sharon McMillian

Department Head

Wake Technical Community College