Ordinance Debate Near Close

Chapel Hill residents talked about the wording and environmental impact of the development ordinance.

On Monday, the Chapel Hill Town Council met for a public hearing where citizens came to voice their concerns. Mayor Kevin Foy said he hoped this would enable a final document for the fall to be created Monday.

Chapel Hill resident Milton Heath of 504-A North St. said, "I'd like to rename the ordinance something besides 'development' -- something like 'land-use management.'" Other people supported this feeling later during the evening.

The ordinance was also criticized for its language. Chapel Hill resident Margaret Heath of Bluff Trail said, "First of all, I would like to see this ordinance written in plain English."

John Randall of 3304 Hadden Road expressed concern with lighting in the community. "It could have negative effects on bird migration. Bright lights should be restricted to those pointing down."

Scott Gardner, lighting district manager for Duke Power, said, "We are in favor of safety and wanted to work closely with the community while not spending unnecessary time or money."

According to a memorandum from Town Manager Cal Horton to the council, the community as a whole is opposed to the changes listed in the second draft of the development ordinance. Rudolph Juliano of 408 Lyons Road said it would "undermine the character of stable, pleasant neighborhoods."

Many individuals are concerned about trees that are often cut down when massive construction takes over. The desire is to see indiscriminate cutting stopped.

Richard Goldberg of 202 Fallen Log East said, "Trees keep nearby streams cool so that native species can remain in their habitats."

Others encouraged the council to mandate keeping some native grasses and plants in neighborhoods. This would make fertilizer and other harmful chemicals from being used as often.

The need for revising the ordinance arose because of concern that Chapel Hill is running out of new spaces to build homes. This has caused the town to look to such solutions as infill and redevelopment for answers. This would include ideas such as building multi-family units in single-family homes, tearing down smaller homes to build larger ones or even building new construction on large properties that house one unit.

The ordinance would tighten regulations in regard to the environment. It would encourage development to be kept at least 100 feet from perennial streams. Concern about stormwater management, water quality, trees, lighting and erosion are also being discussed.

Buffer requirements have not been updated since the mid-1980s, and with the urban design of Chapel Hill, there is talk of updating vegetative buffer regulations as well.

Betsy Pringle of 381 Tenney Circle said, "Many citizens may not think the ordinance applies to them until redevelopment comes to their neighborhood."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.