Pit Bulls Not a Danger to Humans; Local Attack Not Related to Whipple Case

I am truly astounded that your reporter, Alison Board, actually compared the Logner pit bull attack on a small dog to the tragic attack in the Whipple dog murder case in California.

I think she has forgotten the basic facts of the Logner case.

The two dogs, Cisco and Roscoe, attacked and injured a small dog.

They did not and have not attacked any humans. Ms. Enright had a slight injury to her finger that resulted from the pit bulls attacking her dog -- not her. The Logner dogs have not shown any propensity to threaten or attack any people.

The animal shelter routinely quarantines dogs of all breeds that attack other animals. You can find one here almost every day.

Their circumstances are similar or worse than the Logner situation. According to the law, owners are given the opportunity to comply with the vicious dog confinement requirements, and if these are met, the dog is returned to them. A citation and resulting fine are also issued.

There are a completely different set of rules for animals that attack people.

Depending on the severity, the animal is either returned under a vicious dog confinement order or destroyed.

Our decisions are based on set criteria and also good judgment.

Did the attack occur on or off the dog's property? Was it provoked or unprovoked? Was it an elderly dog that bit an unsupervised child or a young dog that chased a child from the bus stop?

There is a huge difference. The Animal Protection Society of Orange County is committed to promoting responsible pet ownership. Our mission is for animals and people to live in harmony and without fear. While our first priority will always be the safety of the public, this must also be tempered by reason and common sense.

One fact is clear though: An animal on animal attack is not in any way comparable to two dogs attacking and killing a young woman.

Your overreaching drama was completely irresponsible and intended to induce fear into the community.

Laura Walters

Executive Director

Orange County Animal Protection Society