UNC Stays Alive; Advances Past James Madison in Tournament

The Tar Heels (42-20), hours off a

9-6 loss against South Carolina, were down in the first inning again. This time the scoreboard read 3-1.

"We figured if we put some runs on the board and take a lead early we would have a chance," said JMU left fielder Alan Lindsey, who tied UNC's Sean Farrell to lead the NCAA regional baseball tournament with two doubles.

A loss in Saturday night's game would have meant a quiet bus ride home for UNC. The Tar Heels had other plans and fended off the Dukes to win 9-7 before 1,492, a crowd that paled in comparison to the morning's 5,000-plus turnout.

Sean Farrell singled to left field during the eighth inning, bringing Mel Adams home and severing a 7-7 tie. Adam Greenberg scored one unearned run later in the eighth inning after Chris Maples singled to centerfield.

"This was a big game to come back, and this is really a one chance for our team to really go all the way," said Farrell, who lead the tournament as of Saturday with six RBI.

"I guess I just wasn't ready to finish playing yet."

UNC's pitchers combined for 14 strikeouts in 38 at-bats, and Daniel Moore was given the opportunity to redeem himself. Earlier Saturday, during the matchup against South Carolina

(50-14), Moore gave up five runs to the first five batters.

"Daniel came back after what I know was a disappointing start in the first game to really come out and give us a chance to win the second game," said UNC coach Mike Fox.

This time, Moore, the winning pitcher, issued two strikeouts and gave up zero runs.

"I just wanted to come out and really focus and just pitch a little bit better than I did today," Moore said. "That's the good thing about this thing is you get right back out there in three hours and get a chance to redeem yourself."

Dukes coach Spanky McFarland snagged a record number of wins for JMU this year by beating Virginia Commonwealth in the first game of the tournament.

"They put the ball in play;we didn't get many breaks and made some errors," McFarland said. "But that's baseball."

The Sports Editor can be reached at

sports@unc.edu.