Change Expected To Joint Program

The program is a joint merit-based scholarship program that seeks to increase collaboration between UNC and Duke University. Students cannot apply to the program directly -- the admissions offices on both campuses choose applications from the overall applicant pool.

Thirty finalists are selected for the four-year undergraduate scholarship program in March and come from different U.S. states and foreign countries.

The program provides full tuition, living stipends and laptops, and scholars receive degree certification from both UNC and Duke upon graduation.

Duke President Nan Keohane said she believes the program has drawn students to Duke and UNC who might otherwise have gone elsewhere.

Although these students cross the boundaries between Duke and UNC, the program still needs to overcome challenges and make changes, said Eric Mlyn, director of the program.

"A program this ambitious and innovative is going to run into obstacles -- but we overcame them," he said.

Mlyn said there were some technical difficulties like getting students registered for classes on the other campus.

UNC Chancellor James Moeser said there will be minor changes made to the program next year -- bus schedule changes, course corrections, the definition of a Robertson Scholar's ideal profile, recruitment guidelines and the possible introduction of direct applications.

A new staff member will also be hired to focus on national recruiting and marketing, he said. Moeser also said he wants to eliminate the perception that only Robertson scholars are allowed to take classes at the other campus.

Tyler McCormick, a scholar from Greensboro, said that his heart was set on Duke from the beginning of high school and that he believes the program has enhanced his college experience thus far. "The Robertson Scholars Program has become a program not just a scholarship. ... It gives you a greater sense of awareness about what's going on at the other campus," he said.

Keohane said that this is an exceptional opportunity for the students because they have the riches of two great campuses at their fingertips.

Moeser said the program is a great opportunity. "It's just another avenue of excellence. ... It ultimately creates something where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."