Eno Festival Raises Money for River

"The festival is a celebration of the river, but more than that it is a celebration of the spirit of the river," said Assistant Coordinator Charlie Helms.

"People join together for the weekend to enjoy the natural beauty of our country through music and camaraderie."

This year marks the 23rd anniversary of the festival. Celebrations will begin on the Fourth of July and continue Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at West Point on the Eno City Park in Durham.

The event was created as a fund-raising exercise in the Eno River Association's fight against the proposed damming of the river. The Eno flows for about 40 miles from northern Orange County and through Durham County before emptying into Falls Lake and eventually converging with the Neuse River.

Proceeds from the festival will go toward buying land along the river for permanent preservation. The Eno River Association now has set its sights on a 12-acre plot at Dimmocks Mill near Occoneechee Mountain. Since the Eno River Association was created in 1966, it has secured 3,700 acres.

During the Fourth of July celebrations, more than 100 artists will display their crafts along the banks of the river. In the meantime, more than 100 musicians and bands will perform nonstop music on three main stages.

The music cannot be categorized easily -- it will include blues, folk, country, bluegrass, rock 'n' roll, gospel, flamenco and a cappella. There will also be food served by several vendors and plenty of activities for kids.

While the Festival for the Eno is mainly intended to be a fun affair, there is also some important business to take care of concerning the protection and conservation of the river and its resources.

In addition to the drought that has left the water well below the normal level, there is also the question of the Eno Drive loop in northern Durham proposed by the Department of Transportation. Board members of the Eno River Association will speak out against this plan and try to gain supporters.

"The construction of this roadway could lead to horrible pollution of the river, deconstructing all the progress that has been made in the last 35 years," Holmes said. "It could even spell the end for the festival."

The Eno River Association has its work cut out for it. But with its brand of environmental action, including a "trash-free" drive to compost and recycle as many materials as possible, the festival will be more than just something fun to do for the upcoming holiday. People from the Triangle area and beyond will be able to serve the land as well as to pay heed to liberty.

Advance tickets to the festival are on sale for $10 at Schoolkids Records and Wellspring Whole Foods Market in Chapel Hill and at Townsend Bertram & Co. in Carrboro. Tickets at the gate cost $12 per person per day. Admission is free for children 12 years old and under.

For more information on the festival, visit http://www.enoriver.org.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.