European Treatment of Traveler Leaves Something To Be Desired at Home

I have just returned from a study abroad experience in Europe. I spent five weeks in London, one week in Paris and three days in Edinburgh, Scotland, which the Honors Program coordinated.

The experience allowed me the opportunity to understand and indeed embrace Western culture.

As an African-American student, leaving a most conservative Southern environment was enlightening and glorious.

I spent the majority of my time in museums viewing works by Monet, Cezanne, Picasso and Da Vinci.

As a science major, the ability to explain artwork in terms of my own personal aesthetic appreciation was appealing.

Aesthetic appreciation differed so much from the logical (point-to-point coverage and accuracy) found in science.

I was also surprised to hear that others cared about what I thought about major works.

The beauty of Europe expanded far beyond its art galleries.

The people also seemed to carry with them a charm and warmth that I haven't received outside my own family. Many people would stop me on London's streets and say, "You look lost, where are you trying to go?"

Even in Paris, a man who spoke no English went out of his way to see to it that a friend and I made it to an Internet cafe.

In Scotland, we stayed at a bed and breakfast run by an old couple who provided free transportation and gave us the keys to their house.

It's not that you can't get that seem treatment around Chapel Hill -- I am sure you can. Yet, I have been stereotyped several times since my freshman year (not just in the immediate area but in other Southern regions as well).

I've been accused of stealing when I hadn't, and I've been asked repeatedly by complete strangers if I "played sports" or was an "actor."

It is obvious why Western culture eluded my tastes for so long.

My advice to minorities is to experience the West by going to Europe -- I believe that a much greater appreciation will arise from so doing.

William Clifton Green II
Sophomore
English