In Brief

Town Council to Allow UNC-CH Construction

The Chapel Hill Town Council issued permits for the construction of new buildings on the University campus and improvements to existing structures.

Roger Waldon, Chapel Hill planning director, advised the council after review of the projects to give approval to the University.

The projects signify the opening round of UNC's eight-year Development Plan, approved by the town nine months ago.

The first project the University will undergo is a $10.5 million renovation of Alexander, Connor and Winston residence halls on UNC's North Campus.

Bruce Runberg, associate vice chancellor for planning and construction, said the University would also begin the construction of its $64 million, 112,333-square foot Rams Head Center, a facility that will both serve as a student center and have a 700-space parking deck.

UNC Hosts Conference On Resegregation

The Center for Civil Rights, a component of the School of Law, will bring together distinguished national experts in civil rights and education policy for a daylong conference held on campus Aug. 30.

"The Resegregation of Southern Schools? A Crucial Moment in the History (and the Future) of Public Schooling in America" is co-sponsored by the Civil Rights Project at Harvard University, the North Carolina Law Review and the Thurgood Marshall School of Law at Texas Southern University.

More than 200 individuals, including scholars, civil rights advocates, policy-makers, lawyers and school administrators, are expected to attend this conference.

"This is exactly the sort of applied academic work that I have hoped the Center for Civil Rights would be able to undertake," said Gene Nichol, law school dean.

"We will examine a crushing legal and social problem, to both North Carolina and the nation, from a variety of disciplines, to suggest reform," Nichol said.

University Receives Grant for Research

UNC received $1.6 million to support bioscience education outreach efforts to secondary schools and historically minority universities in the state.

The funding is part of a $80 million grant to 44 research universities across the country.

The Howard Hughes Medical Institute grants support to "programs that can become models for bringing undergraduate teaching and research closer together, as well as exposing undergraduates to emerging fields in biology and to the increasingly interdisciplinary nature of the life sciences," according to the institute's announcement.

"Biology is progressing so rapidly and interfacing with so many other disciplines that undergraduate teaching runs the risk of substituting quantity for quality," said Dr. Thomas R. Cech, HHMI president.

"Through these grants, the institute is providing resources to help universities bring their undergraduate science teaching up to the level of their research programs," he said.

Other North Carolina research universities also received money from the grants.

N.C. State University also received $1.6 million, and Duke University received $1.8 million.

Durham to Host Music Summit on July 27

The Southeast Music and Entertainment Summit will be held at the Marriott Civic Center in Durham on July 27 from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

The SMES works to build a business an social network that covers the Mid-Atlantic region.

The centerpiece of the event is a trade show featuring equipment manufacturers, record labels, fashion designers, music distribution companies and skateboard manufacturers.

The daylong convention will also feature a sound stage featuring live performances, a demo clinic where artists can have their recording work critiqued by industry professionals, several moderated panels, an unsigned artist showcase and several MC and DJ competitions.