Towns Celebrate 4th Without Fireworks

The festivities will begin at 7 p.m. at McCorkle Place on the UNC campus. Normally the events take place at Kenan Stadium to accommodate the fireworks display, but there will be no fireworks this year as a result of the state and town's budget crisis.

According to Robert Humphreys, executive director of Chapel Hill's Downtown Commission, the event will still be enjoyable. "We will have a lot of clowns, face painting and ballon animals for the children," said Humphreys. For the adults, the musical group the Nomads will be performing a mix of beach music, Motown and patriotic tunes.

Humphreys said attendees should wear their most patriotic clothing as there will be a contest for the "most patriotic whatever." People could win for the most patriotic hat or shoes -- or even underwear. "I'm not sure who will be judging the underwear," said Humphreys.

As the nation has recovered from last year's Sept. 11 attacks, there have been national terrorist threats regarding the patriotic holiday. Chapel Hill Police Chief Gregg Jarvies said he does not anticipate any problems in regard to the threats. "We are not increasing any staffing as a result of these national warnings," reported Jarvies.

Jarvies also said he does not anticipate any major traffic problems from the holiday. There will be a few officers on Franklin Street to guide pedestrians safely across the street but not to guide traffic. City buses will not run on the Fourth of July, but parking will be free.

Carrboro will be having its own Fourth of July celebration, beginning at 9:30 a.m. at Weaver Street Market. There will be activity tables, and patrons can register for a patriotic costume contest, said Carol Rosemond, interim recreation and parks director.

The "People's Parade" will begin at 11 a.m. and will leave from Weaver Street on its way to the Carrboro Town Hall. The free activities there will last from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The festivities are ending early this year because of the lack of fireworks.

Rosemond said, "This way, you will have time to go home and fire up the grill."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.