Tuition Committee

The tuition task force will be charged with creating a proposal for a long-term tuition plan for UNC.

Several student spots remain to be filled, and Student Body President Jen Daum said she hopes the full task force will be named by the end of the week.

The task force will examine the need to increase faculty salaries, decrease undergraduate class size, keep financial aid packages available and keep libraries technologically up-to-date.

The task force also will decide if tuition increases need to be continued in order to stay competitive with peer universities.

A similar task force was formed by the UNC-Chapel Hill Board of Trustees to consider the possibility of implementing a tuition increase. The task force recommended to the BOT a one-year $400 tuition increase, which the board approved.

That increase was later knocked down to $300 by the UNC-system Board of Governors and was implemented on top of an 8 percent systemwide increase for in-state students and 12 percent for out-of-state students.

Shelton said there was a delay in the formation of the committee because he wanted one additional student on the task force who will not be a senior.

Shelton said that it had taken longer than anticipated for Daum to try to find a sophomore for the committee. Daum said she hopes to find an in-state, non-Morehead Scholar to fill the undergraduate seat. "It's harder to identify a sophomore because they haven't been around as long and they may not have gotten involved with government yet," he said.

Shelton said he would also like to add two graduate students to the committee.

The members of the task force so far are: Shelton; Daum; graduate student James Alstrum-Acevedo; Dean Bresciani, interim vice chancellor for student affairs; Rebekah Burford, Daum's chief of staff; trustee Russell Carter; Julie Collins, associate dean for academic affairs; Professor Pamela Conover; Employee Forum Chairman Tommy Griffin; Professor Pamela Joyner; Elmira Mangum, associate provost for finance and human resources; Professor Steve Matson; Professor Anthony Meyer; Peter Ornstein, chairman of the Department of Psychology; Shirley Ort, director of the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid; Professor William Race; trustee Richard Stevens; and Nancy Suttenfield, vice chancellor for finance and administration.

Stevens said he hopes to have more time to discuss tuition possibilities. Stevens represented the BOT on the committee last year.

"We were a little rushed last year," he said. Stevens said he hopes to have more discussion with the committee members this year.

Ort said she is excited about being named to the committee. "My goal is to make sure that the interests of the needy students are fairly represented."