University Gives Town Chance to Review Plans

Four additional applications were filed within the following week.

Chapel Hill's town planners have 15 working days to review the applications and discuss revisions.

The six projects UNC submitted are the renovation of Alexander, Connor and Winston residence halls, the construction of a new science complex that will replace Venable Hall, the renovation of Memorial Hall, the construction a combination parking deck and student union next to Kenan Stadium, the renovation of the School of Nursing's Carrington Hall and the renovation of the School of Dentistry.

The new system for project approval is a result of an agreement between UNC and and the town regarding University expansion.

In July 2001, the Chapel Hill Town Council voted to adopt the zoning ordinance that allows UNC to add an additional 5.8 million square feet to the existing 13.6 million. As part of this agreement, the town required that the University to submit its Development Plan.

The document addresses the city's concerns about the anticipated effects of construction. The plan puts regulations on issues such as stormwater, noise, transportation and lighting management.

One of the stipulations the town called for in the Development Plan is the need for individual site development applications. These applications describe each project's specific methods for abiding by the the regulations in the plan.

Bruce Runberg, associate vice chancellor for facilities planning, said the review system was created because it was efficient and practical. By implementing this system, the Development Plan did not have to be so specific as to cover any possible construction situation. The individual site application system allows the University to submit plans and the town planners to determine what changes should be made to be to go along with the Development Plan.

Runberg said he thinks the extra effort in the beginning will allow everything to run smoothly now. "We expect the plans to be accepted and for only a couple extra considerations to have to be made," he said. "The town is working hard and diligently to get everything done."

Roger Waldon, Chapel Hill's planning director, said the city planners' goal for individual application process is to make sure that each project follows the terms of the University's development plan. The development plan itself is not detailed enough to consider all the specifics the individual applications can.

"I don't expect any problems with he applications," said Waldon. "I fully expect the review to be in a checklist format."