A Southern Professor Looks Homeward

But to William Ferris the South is a constantly changing flow of life and a region rich in diversity.

"There are many worlds of Southern culture," Ferris said. "Within the region there is a huge range of representations."

Ferris, who has spent 30 years studying the South, is a new addition to UNC's faculty. His studies primarily focus on Southern folklore and black music, and he comes to Chapel Hill not only to teach a class on Southern culture but to work with UNC's nationally recognized Center for the Study of the American South.

"In many ways my work here will be a culmination of my studies," Ferris said.

Ferris, who has written or edited 10 books, made 15 documentary films and created several sound recordings about Southern culture, is teaching a class this fall that he calls a wide-ranging lesson on Southern influences. The history class is titled "Special Topics in American History: Folklore, Music and History."

"We will explore the influence of all kinds of Southern music and dance, from spirituals to hip hop and rap while also exploring Southern food, literature and art."

But for Ferris, studying the South is not simply an examination of a culture but an exploration of himself.

"Much of my work as a folklorist has been an effort to explore the roots of people," Ferris said. "Much of my life has been spent trying to go back home to discover the land that produced me."

The land that produced Ferris was Vicksburg, Miss., and he said the environment heavily influenced his life's work.

"I grew up on a farm, surrounded by storytellers," Ferris said. "Quickly, I learned that the past is never dead, and through my life I have never forgotten that."

He said growing up in a predominately black community sparked his interest in Southern music at an early age.

"One of my strongest impressions from my childhood was going to churches where no one used the hymnals during services," Ferris said. "They had them all learned from memory."

It is memories like this that have fueled many of Ferris' works, not only in his literature but in his film work. He served as a consultant on films such as "The Color Purple" and said many of his own films are translations of strong impressions from his childhood.

A major reason why the South has intrigued Ferris is the range of the culture, a range he said is rarely appreciated by the average Southerner.

"Having a sense of history is important to everyone," Ferris said. "Understanding what makes us distinctive is inherently vital."

Ferris said Chapel Hill appeals to him partly because of its own distinctive cultural mix, which is why he describes his move to the University as a "dream come true."

"I've long admired the academic and cultural atmosphere at Chapel Hill," Ferris said. "It is a community of kindred spirits and offers the best of both worlds as a center of an urban and rural area."

Ferris is not the only one enthusiastic about his appointment at UNC.

"William Ferris is one of the truly outstanding academics in the United States," said Risa Palm, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. "His research adds outstanding luster to our programs."

Provost Robert Shelton said he agrees that Ferris' presence on campus greatly enhances UNC's already strong academic reputation.

"This is absolutely a stellar appointment," Shelton said. "In having Bill here, we are not only capturing his academic experience but also capturing his personality and his background."

To nominate someone who has made an outstanding contribution to the University community to be a Star Heel, e-mail features@unc.edu.