Attacks on UNC Reading Bring 'Idiotic' Extremists Out of the Woodworks

After so many years of hearing UNC and Chapel Hill lambasted as bastions of liberalism, communism, feminism and any other -ism that implies free thinking, in a way it is nice to see that there are members of the University community who are active and still hold somewhat conservative views.

No one following the recent glut of Letters to the Editor can claim that there are no conservatives, Christians, Republicans or members of other groups, who are much more hate-oriented, here in Chapel Hill.

As refreshing as the debate is, the incredible closed-mindedness and religious hatred that has come out is appalling.

Since when did reading a book about a religion other than Christianity become un-American?

People like the Family Policy Network and Charles Sproull of Springville, Ind., must realize how incredibly idiotic they sound in their attacks on UNC-Chapel Hill.

Sproull goes as far as to say that Bible study should be a requirement for U.S. citizenship.

Charles, are you out of your mind?

These people claim to be great Americans and to defend the Bill of Rights, but they don't seem to have ever read it.

The worst action in all of this is the House budget resolution that would deny UNC-CH funding if all religions are not given equal time.

North Carolina has long had an undeserved reputation as a backward, bigoted, Bible-thumping state, and when one of our legislative bodies does something like this, it only serves to reinforce that prejudice and stereotype and make all of our lives worse.

This is a grand opportunity for the students at this University to stand up for what public education in this country is supposed to stand for and refuse to be cowed by the hate mongering of the religious right.

Use your voices to show the country and the world that, at least here in Chapel Hill, following your chosen religion and learning about others freely, just learning period, is not un-American, it is as American as you can get.

Sam McDaniel
Chapel Hill

The length rule was waived.