BCC, CUAB Share Caribbean Flair

Co-sponsored by the Sonja Haynes Stone Black Cultural Center and the Carolina Union Activities Board, the event gave students a chance to unwind after the first week of classes.

While a DJ played Caribbean music in the Union Courtyard, students tried dishes not normally found in Lenoir Dining Hall.

The food, provided by The Jerk Pit Cafe in Durham, included jerk chicken, beef patties, Jamaican cabbage and plantains.

"Spicy but good" was the reaction from most students after sampling the island food.

With their plates in hand, participants received raffle tickets that entered them in a contest to win Stone Center logo T-shirts and gift bags of books as prizes.

Most students, including freshman Monica Liverman, seemed to enjoy the festive atmosphere.

Liverman took the opportunity to familiarize herself with student organizations as well as to socialize.

"Since I'm new here, I like to go to all the different events, so I can meet people," she said.

Brandi Williams, public relations manager for the Stone Center, said the purpose of the event was to educate people about different cultures.

"We want people to know that there is more than just Jamaica in the Caribbean," she said.

The event also was part of the Stone Center's overall program structure, Williams said.

The center seeks to educate people about the African diaspora.

For example, Williams said that through the slave trade, people of African descent were scattered across the world and that the Caribbean was one of those places.

Members of the Carolina Caribbean Association, who set up and manned a table at the feast, said they hoped to attract new members to their organization.

President Talisha Lee said the group formed two years ago to spread knowledge of the region's culture.

"A lot of people think you have to be Caribbean (to join)," Lee said.

"But we like non-Caribbean members because they can help us figure out how to appeal to non-Caribbean people."

Lee's aspirations for the group this year include a Caribbean-themed carnival in Polk Place.

The group also hopes to hold fund-raisers to benefit schools in the Caribbean.

Lee encouraged students who are interested in the organization to attend a meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the basement of Parker Residence Hall.

Many of the students stopping by the grill Friday evening said they got the opportunity to delve into a new culture.

Junior Ashley Chappell heard about the event as a member of CUAB.

Chappell said she enjoyed learning about the Caribbean group and liked the new area made available now that construction on the Student Union has concluded.

"It showcases this great venue between the new and old Union," she said.

"It's a good loud party atmosphere on a Friday afternoon."