Bluegrass Festival to Benefit Local Public Access Channel

Billed as the "biggest televised event in the history of Orange County," the benefit will go toward the purchase of new equipment at the local public access station.

Gates open at 10 a.m. for the event, which runs from noon to 8 p.m. at the shopping center off U.S. 15-501 in Chapel Hill. Admission is a $9 donation, and children 10 and under are free.

The event will include the Apple Chill Cloggers with their bluegrass outfit, Kickin' Grass and four other musical acts.

Other activities scheduled include an egg toss contest and a banjo shootout in which contestants will have the opportunity to wow the audience. The competition will be open to public participation.

Event coordinator Charley Karnes, who produces "Smart With Your Car" on the station, said the benefit will be televised on a one-hour delay on the Peoples Channel 8.

Karnes said the station serves 14,000 households in Orange and neighboring counties.

He said the auction, which will take place during stage breaks, will offer about 20 items, including a weekend vacation to Ocean Isle Beach.

He said the event will be held rain or shine, a large tent will be on site and pizza and drinks will be available.

Karnes added that he expects between 5,000 and 10,000 people to attend Saturday's festivities.

Karnes said the station desperately needs better tools.

"We have equipment that needs repair, and we have equipment that needs throwing away," he said. "We are woefully in need of funding to put this station on the same level of other communities that have less talent and better equipment."

Station Manager Julius Hewitt said the benefit and auction is the first major fund-raising effort for the station.

"This is our first of a couple events that we are planning for the year," Hewitt said.

He said that besides raising funds, the event aims to showcase the variety of programs and opportunities offered by The Peoples Channel. In addition to programming opportunities, Hewitt said, the station also offers classes in production, editing and other processes of television broadcasting.

He said the event will highlight the educational and far-reaching mission of the station.

"I hope the atmosphere is one in which people enjoy the activities and music but also realize that public access is an integral part of the community and is open to anyone and everyone," he said. "We want to produce high quality programming."

Hewitt said the benefit and auction represents the station's commitment to its viewers.

"Saturday's event is part of our service that we offer to the community."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.