Bookstore Illogical; Cooperative Would Benefit Student Body

This letter is in regard to a recent article, "The Committee Prepares to Suggest Changes to Textbook System" by Jennifer Johnson. College bookstores have long been a troublesome thorn in my side.

The statement by Brad Overcash, "As far as new book prices go, the only way to cut prices is to eliminate the scholarships. Student Stores is not interested, and student government is not asking," completely misses the point. The scholarships given by Students Stores are illogical.

Basically, students on financial aid are double-taxed -- they borrow money for school that must be repaid, and they are charged full price for textbooks so that financial aid can be given to others. Why not eliminate the scholarships and reduce the price of textbooks by the corresponding percentage, thus giving everyone financial aid?

It defeats the purpose of financial aid to charge those in need of the aid so that aid can be given to others. It's a vicious unfair cycle.

I suggest that either Student Stores stop the scholarship program and reduce the price of textbooks for all students or, better yet, Student Stores should be made a cooperative -- as defined by dictionary.com: "An enterprise or organization that is owned or managed jointly by those who use its facilities or services."

There are other significant factors to consider, eg. Student Stores having what amounts to a captive audience, thus taking on little risk with their book inventory versus local booksellers who can afford to give modest discounts on certain books even though they must accept certain risks in the inventory they keep.

For the sake of brevity, that can be discussed later.

Sam Middleton Jr.
2nd-Year Master's Student
School of Journalism and Mass Communication