Bowles' Campaign Misleading, Colors Past Clinton Connection

I've always been infatuated by listening to Democrats but have never been able to put my finger on exactly why. A psychologist might argue that deep down I am struggling with some sort of repressed socialistic tendencies; however, I think my fascination with listening to members of this party is largely due to the raw entertainment value they provide every time they open their mouths.

And this election year, Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Erskine Bowles has not disappointed. But with Bowles, the things he says are not nearly as amusing as the things he fails to mention.

The former White House chief of staff and UNC alumnus paid a visit to campus Monday evening and, as he has done throughout his campaign, made little mention of the fact that his White House service occurred during the administration of President Bill Clinton.

In fact, Bowles spent nearly four years working with Clinton not only serving as his chief of staff but also as deputy chief of staff and as an administrator with the Small Business Administration.

Now, being the astute political observer that I am, I realize that there is a simple explanation for Bowles' behavior: Clinton is highly unpopular among N.C. voters and never once carried the state in either of his presidential bids.

Given that, it seems only politically savvy that Bowles might want to downplay his association with Clinton. However, his efforts to erase "the Clinton years" from his past have gone far past simply ignoring them.

For example, in one of Bowles' initial campaign ads that aired earlier this summer, he not only omitted any video clips of himself and Clinton together but assembled an ad that included a scene with him and U.S. Senate Minority Leader Trent Lott, R-Miss., chatting. The campaign eventually pulled the ads after Lott publicly expressed chagrin for them.

But the Clinton bullet isn't the only one Bowles has been dodging lately. He has also made little mention of the fact that he did a complete 180 on whether to grant President Bush "fast-track" trade negotiating authority.

"Fast-track" authority, which passed Congress earlier this year, will expedite trade negotiations between the United States and foreign nations by forcing members of Congress to vote trade agreements either up or down instead of modifying them as they were formerly allowed to do.

While working in the White House, Bowles lobbied Congress to grant the very same privilege to Clinton. "Fast-track is ... a prerequisite for seizing the trade opportunities before us around the world," Bowles said in 1997 when the issue first emerged.

Today, Bowles sings a different tune. "I'm not going to support any fast-track legislation, any slow track, no track," he told The (Raleigh) News & Observer last week.

Bowles has also shirked responsibility for his involvement in the corporate arena. In a July press release, Bowles' campaign blasted Republican frontrunner Elizabeth Dole for supporting a proposal that would allow individuals to invest a portion of their Social Security payrolls taxes in the stock market.

The Bowles' campaign dubbed any effort to privatize Social Security as "risky."

And for once, he is right.

Social Security privatization is a risky proposition -- at least if Erskine Bowles is the person managing your money.

The New York investment bank where he was a managing partner until he resigned to run for the U.S. Senate is now being sued for losing more than $100 million for the Connecticut state employees' pension fund on two bad stock picks.

If he doesn't start being more honest with N.C. voters about the issues and his past, Bowles' campaign is headed for one place -- the gutter.

Michael McKnight has never been more happy to be a registered Republican. E-mail him at mmcknigh@email.unc.edu.