Budget May Hurt Arts Promotions, Not Shows

Because of funding from outside sources, performances and exhibitions by University arts programs are set for the upcoming school year.

But the publicity and promotion of those events will be hindered by the cuts that inevitably will be made this year to the University's budget.

Arts Carolina, an organization charged with aiding such promotion, could be cut entirely.

Initial University funding for the three-year-old organization, which coordinates and promotes collaborative events within the UNC arts community, will expire Dec. 31.

Arts Carolina Director Amy Brannock said the renewal of the funding will hinge largely on the magnitude of state budget cuts to UNC, which won't be decided until the General Assembly passes a state budget. "It's a little scary right now for Arts Carolina," she said. "Everything is on hold until the budget passes."

David Hammond, artistic director for PlayMakers Repertory Company, said that with University arts programs already being forced to cut publicity expenses, the reduction or elimination of Arts Carolina would be especially detrimental to the artistic climate at UNC.

"Arts Carolina has been very valuable in promoting arts on campus and the role of art in education," he said. "It would be a true loss for the UNC arts community."

The state is facing a $1.5 billion budget shortfall as legislators attempt to write a budget for the current fiscal year. Budget proposals being evaluated by the N.C. House and Senate have multimillion dollar cuts to higher education.

But campus officials said the Carolina Performing Arts Series, Ackland Art Museum, PlayMakers and the Carolina Union Activities Board will not be directly affected by the cuts. These organizations receive enough outside funding to keep their events from being hurt.

Administrators for PlayMakers said cuts to the Department of Dramatic Art -- which provides personnel and office space to PlayMakers -- will hurt their ability to market events.

But Hammond said PlayMakers performances and events are funded entirely by box office sales and outside grants, protecting the performances.

Officials at the Ackland Art Museum and PlayMakers said they have scaled back their publicity efforts in order to keep budget cuts from affecting actual performances and exhibitions.

"Our exhibitions and programs are still continuing as planned," said Andy Berner, assistant director of development for the Ackland Art Museum. "It's just a matter of slimming down the things we do but not cutting anything that will keep us from finishing our program goals."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached artsdesk@unc.edu.