Campus To Host Sept. 11 Memorial

Day will include a convocation and vigil.

In addition to a gathering in front of South Building, a comprehensive volunteer fair and candlelight vigil are among the events slated for Sept. 11.

UNC officials have organized a noon convocation in Polk Place, revisiting the site where more than 10,000 people came together Sept. 12 in reflection and mourning.

Organizers say the event will center on remembering the six UNC alumni who died in the two World Trade Center Towers.

Chancellor James Moeser will address those attending the midday convocation, during which the bell in South Building will toll for each of the six alumni.

Throughout the afternoon, about 75 volunteer organizations from both the University and the surrounding community will participate in a volunteer fair.

Sponsored by the Carolina Center for Public Service, the Public Service and Advocacy Committee of student government, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce and Volunteer Orange!, the fair also will be held in Polk Place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

UNC Health Care will hold a symposium on terrorism preparedness earlier in the day.

Donald Trunkey, chairman of surgery at Oregon Health Sciences University, will give the keynote speech at the event, which begins at 7:30 a.m. in the Fourth Floor Clinic Auditorium of the Old Clinic.

Later that evening, the UNC Campus Y is hosting an interfaith candlelight vigil in the Pit.

Featuring numerous student organizations' music and poetry, the vigil will be held at 8 p.m.

At last year's gathering at Polk Place -- held the day after the terrorist attacks -- speakers included then-Student Body President Justin Young; Raj Panjabi, then-Campus Y co-president; Richard Kohn, chairman of the curriculum in peace, war and defense; Sue Kitchen, then-vice chancellor for student affairs; and Rev. Steve Stanley of Chapel of the Cross.