Delta Upsilon Plans to Build New Home

Delta Upsilon fraternity has been granted permission to build a new house at its site at 407 E. Rosemary St.

The Chapel Hill Town Council approved reconstruction plans Monday night, giving the fraternity the green light to proceed with the effort.

The Town Council granted Delta Upsilon a special-use permit, allowing the demolition of the old structure and construction of the new building.

Chapel Hill Planning Director Roger Waldon said the house needs many repairs and added that the fraternity's decision to rebuild is primarily economic.

"The fraternity wanted to make some changes," Waldon said. "It was more cost-effective ... to replace it."

He said town officials and residents alike seem pleased with the reconstruction plans, partially because there were no major surprises.

"The application was received very well (at the meeting)" he said.

UNC Director of Greek Affairs Jay Anhorn said the new facility might not open until January 2004.

But Anhorn said he is excited about the direction the effort is moving.

"The plans look really great," he said. "I'm excited to have them come back in full force with their house."

Jeremy Clark, president of Delta Upsilon, said crews finished taking rubble away from the demolition site Wednesday.

Clark said that he hopes the new house will be ready for use by the beginning of next fall but that its completion is partially dependent on alumni support.

Stanley Black, Delta Upsilon's faculty chapter adviser, said he is pleased that the Town Council approved reconstruction on the site.

"I'm glad to hear they did it. I think the chapter's alumni are anxious to get on with rebuilding."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.