Events to Continue Quran Debate

Author Michael Sells to speak on campus

Every year as part of the summer reading program, events are held to complement the freshman discussion sections.

Last year there were three, but this year 16 exhibits and lectures over the entire semester will explore everything from artistic portrayals of Islam to authentic Quranic chants.

Cindy Wolf Johnson, vice chancellor for student learning, said a majority of the events were planned before the controversy began, but recent nationwide debate has changed the focus of the event. "People relate Islam to the Middle East, and it was important for us to show the American perspective of Islam," Wolf Johnson said.

Some student organizations used the summer reading selection to further facilitate discussion and learning of the Quran.

"When we found out about the book, I contacted Vice Chancellor Wolf Johnson to see if she wanted any help," said Bashar Staitieh, president of the Muslim Student Association.

Two panel discussions designed specifically in response to the controversy will allow different groups on campus to discuss their points of view.

The first, "Approaching the Qur'an: The Campus Ministers' Perspectives," will take place Sept. 10, and as a follow-up, "Approaching the Qur'an: Student Leaders' Perspectives" will take place at a later, undecided date.

Ackland Art Museum is sponsoring an exhibit titled, "Word and Worship: Approaching Islam through Art," which will be featured until Dec. 29.

At the exhibit, the MSA will facilitate students' understanding of the Quran's oral traditions through sura recitations. The exact date of the recitations, which will take place in October, has not yet been set.

Highlighting the series of events, Michael Sells, author of this summer's book selection "Approaching the Qur'