French Cuisine Comes to Carrboro

'Paris of the Piedmont' restaurant makes nickname feel at home.

Located at 203 W. Weaver St. in downtown Carrboro, Provence Restaurant serves customers Monday to Saturday, from 5:30 pm until close.

Owner and chef Felix Roux said the establishment specializes in fresh fish and a casual ambiance.

"It's casual French-Mediterranean with fresh and local products," he said. "The atmosphere is relaxed."

The restaurant seats 45 people indoors, and 25 can fit outside on the front porch and lawn, he said.

He said the restaurant has already drawn respectable turnouts since its opening Aug. 15.

"We have (had) a very good response from local people," he said.

Roux said he estimates that 50 percent of the restaurant's clientele live within walking distance, with many pushing strollers and riding bicycles on their way to eat.

He said the eatery's concept is unique to the area.

"What we do, nobody (else) does it," he said.

Roux derived the restaurant's name from the region of Provence, in southern France, where he was born.

Before he moved to North Carolina two years ago, he operated similarly themed restaurants in California and Florida.

But Roux said his clientele in Carrboro is markedly different than that which he served before.

"I think we depend less on tourism (than) where we were," he said. "Here it's more diversified. We have more kinds of people."

Aaron Nelson, president of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce, said Provence will complement the area's other dining options.

"This is a great addition to an already stellar array of fine dining opportunities," Nelson said.

He said Roux's prior culinary successes in Florida and California should translate to comparable quality in Carrboro.

"I expect him to bring that same dedication and quality to the work he does here," he said.

Daphne Lagasse, assistant to the chef, said the restaurant has a laid-back style that lacks pretension.

"It's really kind of a fun, uplifting atmosphere," she said.

Lagasse said she has been encouraged by the response from the public.

"We've had some real busy nights."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.