Go-Go Video Finds Niche, Brings Movies to Your Door

Services are available to most nearby areas.

Samuels and her husband, Richard Taylor, are co-owners of Go-Go Video, based out of their home at 113 Estes Drive Extension in Carrboro.

Open for almost 2 1/2 months, Go-Go has introduced a new concept to the area video rental business.

It delivers.

The idea came to Samuels while living in Rochester, N.Y., during the mid-1990s, when she noticed a local business that rented video cassettes out of the owner's van.

Taylor said similar outfits began in the pre-Internet days in larger cities such as New York and Atlanta.

"It looked to be a very simple concept," he said. "If they can do it, why not us?"

Inspired by these enterprises and the explosion of Internet commerce, the couple pursued what Taylor calls a hybrid between a brick-and-mortar and a dot-com company.

The service covers Chapel Hill and Carrboro, with some exceptions for assisted living and nursing home facilities, he said.

After searching for selections online, customers can place orders via telephone, e-mail or fax to Go-Go, and the videotape or DVD will be delivered to their place of business, he said.

He said people can return films to one of two drop boxes, either on the corner of Estes Drive and Franklin Street or at Willow Creek Plaza.

Taylor said that while the business charges no additional fee for delivery, customers will incur a $1 fee for pickup. He added that the business will waive the pickup fee for the elderly and others confined to their homes.

Samuels said that while the summer is traditionally a slower period for consumers to rent films, it allowed Go-Go to spread the word about its services.

"I think we've been very successful about building the brand-name recognition," she said.

Taylor said the business caters to people who do not have time during the week to stop by the video store before returning home for the evening.

"The clients that we have are people who are really, really busy," he said.

He said Go-Go has between 1,500 to 2,000 titles in stock and features films found at mainstream video retailers.

He said the company is straying away from foreign and independent films, which he said have already found homes at other local establishments.

"We're kind of trying not to step on anyone's toes here," he said.

Taylor said Go-Go specializes in providing a service.

"We offer a convenience."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide