Maryland Out to Continue 2001 Success

The Terps, under first-year head coach Ralph Friedgen, came out of nowhere to claim their first conference title since 1985 and earn a BCS bowl bid.

Friedgen, the 2001 consensus National Coach of the Year, said he is not sure if his team will be able to repeat the success of a year ago.

"Can we do that again? I don't know, Friedgen said. "We'll have to see. I think it would be a tremendous accomplishment. But we have a very young football team -- we only have 11 seniors -- so probably the odds are against us."

Even if the odds do favor the No. 21 Terps, they have several key positions on both offense and defense to fill.

"As an offensive unit, we are better because the understanding is improved from last year," Friedgen said. "We just have to get a quarterback where we need him."

Actually, Friedgen must figure out who's going to play quarterback before he decides where to use him.

Sophomore Chris Kelley was expected to take over for the graduated Shaun Hill, but he tore his ACL during spring practice, leaving the starting slot up for grabs.

Southpaw Scott McBrien is atop the depth chart but will be pressured to keep the job by transfer Orlando Evans. Last year, Evans completed 165 of 251 passes for 2,391 yards and 28 touchdowns at the City College of San Francisco.

Running back Bruce Perry, who ran for 1,242 yards and 10 touchdowns last year, returns to the backfield.

However, Friedgen must find a temporary replacement for the 2001 ACC Offensive Player of the Year. Perry tore a groin muscle prior to a scrimmage Aug. 20 and is expected to be out for at least another three weeks.

"Bruce's injury is very unfortunate for us as a team," Friedgen said. "The good news is that he did not tear the tendon off of the bone, and it looks like he will be able to come back at some point this year."

Mario Merrills and Jason Crawford will likely share time during Perry's absence, Friedgen said.

On the other side of the ball, five starters return to a defense that surrendered ACC bests in rushing yards per game (90.6) and points per game allowed (19.7).

If the defense expects to stack up to last year's, it might have to do so without ACC Player of the Year E.J. Henderson, at least for the first part of the season. Henderson had back surgery early last spring, and his availability for the season opener will be a game-time decision.

"We are going to be very young on defense this year," Friedgen said. "E.J.'s health will be important to us early, and it will be interesting to see what some of the newcomers can do to contribute. I think we will again have a good defense -- we just have some questions that will need to be answered along the way."

The question that might need attention the most is the secondary, where only cornerback Curome Cox returns. Dominique Foxworth, who converted to a cornerback in 2001, is slated to start at the other corner.

"Our corners are solid and will get better as the season progresses," Friedgen said. "Dennard (Wilson) seems to be working out well at safety, and Madieu Williams is a heck of a football player who has the talent to play any spot in our defensive backfield."

The Terps open their season against Notre Dame in the Kickoff Classic Saturday at the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, N.J.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide