Millions for Slave Reparations, Not a Cent for Media Support

To commemorate the anniversary of Marcus Garvey's birthday Saturday, the organization Millions for Reparations held a rally supporting slavery reparations in Washington, D.C.

It was an all-day event, and thousands attended to hear numerous speakers, including Nation of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan. Did you hear about it? If so, pat yourself on the back because even I, who takes pride in following the news, didn't know about it until C-SPAN re-aired it.

It's interesting how some stories don't make the news and how we can't get rid of some repetitive ones. It's easy to assume some things are more important than others, but who determines that?

Almost everyone is aware that the "masterminds" behind major news organizations control coverage, but most people also think that consists largely of white males.

Therefore, looking out for the general population's interests means covering issues that matter to white men, a small fragment of the population. And a slave reparations rally isn't on their agenda.

While white men in the past were undoubtedly involved in creating the issue, their descendants would prefer to ignore the aftermath of slavery outright.

The fact that the Rev. Al Sharpton and the Rev. Jesse Jackson, the most prominent leaders in the struggle for black rights, did not attend the rally likely influenced the lack of media coverage. Sharpton and Jackson have become overriding voices for black concerns. Events they sponsor are usually the only events that get airtime.

That's a problem also. It sends the message that if Jackson and Sharpton are not 100 percent behind a cause, the issue is seen as irrelevant or as lacking support from the black community. That's neither the case nor a safe assumption.

As for the rally itself, the essential arguments for reparations were made, relying on historical facts that most people don't dispute and have a hard time justifying. We know the basic story, but let's recap so we're forced not to forget. Africans were brought to America by the millions in chains on ships where they were forced to starve, lie in their own excrement and arrive in the Americas to do excruciating labor. They were auctioned, families were torn apart, black women were raped by owners and forced to breed.

That's mildly put. Slavery represents a loss of humanity in the worst way, and no one has had to pay for it yet. That's just fact. No one has a problem with admitting facts. The disagreements don't come into play until the issue of reparations comes up.

The most common argument against reparations is that there is no proof of who descends from slaves. Maybe, but that's not the descendants' problem. Naturally, the longer it takes to pay reparations, the harder it is going to be to keep track of descendants. It should have been done 137 years ago, but it wasn't.

Essentially, that argument states that because the government never thought paying for free slave labor was important, descendants of slaves are out of luck. That's unacceptable and, like the U.S. government's judgment is so often, it's wrong!

No one said the task will be easy, and no one has a quick answer, but that doesn't take away from the fact that something needs doing.

America has repaid American Indians, Jews, the Japanese and several other groups for past pain and suffering. Not only did each of those groups deserve it, but each was entitled to it. African descendants are equally entitled, and until that is realized millions for reparations will continue to bring the noise.

Praise me or condemn me, love me or hate me. It's all interchangeable. Reach Tiffanie Drayton at drayton@email.unc.edu.