Minority Students Get Involved At Pre-O Expo

Saturday was a chance for leaders of student organizations to make the groups known to the University's incoming minority freshmen and transfer students, which was part of a four-day orientation session sponsored by the Office of Minority Affairs that ended Monday.

Not only did Moody coordinate the entire event, now in its 33rd year, she represented three different student groups Saturday.

"I'm having a good time," she said. "This is my baby, my big event."

Moody, now a junior journalism major, has been involved with Pre-Orientation since coming to the University as a first-year student.

Pre-Orientation is just one element to an aggressive minority recruitment program established by the minority affairs office, Moody said. Many of the students attending the weekend orientation began contact with the University during their junior or senior years of high school, she said.

About 800 students were invited to Pre-Orientation this year, and close to 450 students registered and participated in the weekend, Moody said.

Almost all of those students already participated in C-TOPS, UNC's standard orientation, but to Moody, Pre-Orientation offered them a different perspective that they might not have received right off the bat.

"I feel they're getting the opportunity to find out what the University has to offer to minority students," she said. "There are so many student organizations, you can get caught up in looking for them."

All weekend through Monday, Pre-Orientation students had the chance to make friends and see firsthand what kind of involvement opportunities are offered to minorities at UNC through various sessions and events.

The program garnered almost 40 student groups to participate in Saturday's Pre-O Expo in the Great Hall, which represented a wide range of both minority groups and organizations not specific to minorities.

The students milling around in the auditorium Saturday were similarly a mixture of Pre-Orientation participants and other interested students. "This event is not just for Pre-O students," Moody said.

Morgan Buck, a freshman from Greensboro who is thinking about going into medicine, said that although he went to C-TOPS, he still was getting a valuable experience through Pre-Orientation. "It's cool to get a feel for the campus before school starts," he said.

Buck's friend and fellow freshman Joey Cooper agreed, although he added that it's a lot to take in. "They throw a lot of information at you -- it can get kind of overwhelming."

Still, Moody said it's important to show students where they can find a niche at UNC before the normal stresses of school kick in. "They can get more comfortable before things get crazy with classes."