N.C. Jumps to 45th in SAT Scores

The new average for the state is 998 -- 505 in math and 493 in verbal. The math score rose six points from 2000-01, while the verbal score remained the same. The average for the region is 995.

Nationally, the math score rose two points to 516 and the verbal score fell two points to 504 for a total of 1020.

The state ranks 45th in the nation for SAT scores, tied with Pennsylvania.

State officials expressed optimism for the results' long-term impact on the state. "We're ecstatic that at a time when the national scores rose zero, we went up six," said Phil Kirk, chairman of the N.C. State Board of Education. "(North Carolina) was 48 or 49 for many years. It's great to jump ahead."

N.C. State Superintendent Mike Ward said the percentage of students taking the SAT rose because of a concerted effort to build strong foundational skills in elementary and middle schools. He added that it is unusual for both the percentage of students taking the test and the average score to rise.

North Carolina has the 13th largest participation rate in the nation, with 67 percent of students taking the test. The state is tied with Maryland. Forty-six percent of students took the test nationally.

But Ward cautioned against using SAT scores to make significant comparisons between states. He said the National Assessment of Educational Progress is the only way to truly compare educational gains made across the country.

The NAEP reports on student performance with comprehensive information about what students in grades four, eight and 12 know and can do in various subject areas.

Ward added that he expects the state to continue improving its SAT scores, especially when a new essay section is added in 2005.

UNC officials say the applicant pools of the past few years reflect the national trend toward increased SAT scores.

Steve Farmer, UNC senior associate director for admissions, said the average SAT score for students who enroll in the University is higher than in past years. He said he would not be surprised to see scores increase further.

The average SAT score in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools for the 2001-02 school year was 1177, the highest districtwide average in the state.

The district's average is based on the scores of the almost 97 percent of seniors taking the test.

Kirk emphasized that he has high expectations for the state's future test scores. "Our students have gained 46 points in the last 10 years -- more than any other state," he said. "This is a trend we hope will continue."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.