New Trustee To Assume Post Sept. 25

Philip Carson, an Asheville lawyer and UNC-CH graduate who previously served on the UNC-system Board of Governors, will officially be sworn into the position at the BOT's Sept. 25 meeting.

Carson, who has practiced law in North Carolina for 35 years, fills the vacancy left by former Bank of America CEO Hugh McColl.

McColl resigned from the board in May, citing time constraints.

"I'm honored to be part of the University's governing body," Carson said. "It's a great board -- they're strong and dedicated people."

BOT Chairman Tim Burnett said he is delighted to have Carson joining the board's affairs.

While the two only knew each other on a casual basis, Burnett said, he is still looking forward to the experience Carson offers and the dynamic he thinks the newest trustee will add.

"What he brings is ... a proven track record of public service," Burnett said. "He's got a great reputation."

Carson, 64, will assume his post with an already established and extensive background in higher education.

Serving on the BOG for 22 years, he was the board's chairman from 1984 to 1988.

During his time as chairman he headed the search committee that selected then-UNC-system President C.D. Spangler.

Within Carson's professional experience also lie academic ties to the University -- he holds a not only a bachelor's degree but also a law degree from UNC-CH.

More than anything, Carson said he wants to give back to UNC-CH and show his commitment to the position through his service.

"I hope I bring to the table an appreciation of how important the University is to North Carolina," he said. "I have a desire to take the issues as they come."

McColl left the board last May, only one year after his term began, Burnett said, and the BOG appointed Carson as his replacement.

"Those are big shoes to fill," Carson said.

BOT members can serve four-year terms.