New Clemson QB To Stir Up Offense

Dantzler, who is the only NCAA Division I quarterback to gain at least 2,000 yards passing and 1,000 yards rushing in same season, also was the first Tiger quarterback in 20 years to earn first team All-ACC honors.

But Bowden has confidence that Willie Simmons, who played backup for the past two years, can fill in the gap left by Dantzler's departure. Simmons has played in 13 games during the last two seasons, completing 62 of 147 passes for 971 and nine touchdowns.

"We will certainly miss Woody. He did some things that no one else in college football had accomplished," Bowden said. "But Woody would be the first to tell you that Willie Simmons probably knows the offense better than he does."

With Dantzler gone, the Tigers will likely be looking to pass more this year.

"We won't change our offense, but we certainly won't call running plays for the quarterback as often," Bowden said.

Clemson also will have to fill in some holes on its offensive line left by the departure of four veterans, including All-American center Kyle Young. Left tackle Gary Bird is the only returning starter to the offensive line.

Clemson's defense was young in 2001. It returns eight starters and is looking to build off of the year's experience.

Senior linebacker Rodney Thomas, the Tiger's top run-stopper, and sophomore linebacker Leroy Hill, who led the team in tackles last year, both return this season. Also returning is senior Bryant McNeal, who ranked third in the ACC in sacks in 2001.

The Tigers, who tied Georgia Tech for fourth in the ACC last year with a 4-4 record, went to the Humanitarian Bowl and beat Louisiana Tech 49-24. With that win, Bowden became the first coach in Clemson history to lead all of his teams to postseason bowl games in his first three seasons.

However, the Tigers face a schedule featuring five preseason top-25 teams.

Bowden said, "Overall, it is the toughest schedule I have faced as a head coach."

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide