Officials To Alter Bylaws

ASG appointments not OK under code.

In July, Hiller appointed sophomores Tre Jones and Colin Rogister and juniors Amanda Taylor and Charity Sturdivant to serve as UNC-Chapel Hill delegates to the UNC-system Association of Student Governments.

The ASG asks each of the system's student governments to appoint four voting delegates to the association, said ASG President Jonathan Ducote.

Student Body President Jen Daum said Thursday that she will serve as one of the delegation's four voting members and that Taylor will be a non-voting delegate because she might be leaving at the end of the semester.

Title IV, Article III, Section 239 of the Student Code states that Daum, as student body president, shall serve as a voting UNC-CH representative on ASG and that she must appoint two other delegates -- one a graduate student, the other an undergraduate -- who must be approved by the Student Affairs Committee and Student Congress.

Title II, Article XII, Section 428 also states that the speaker of Congress is supposed to be the fourth voting delegate but that the speaker can appoint someone to take his place at any time.

Ducote said the ASG requires the system's campuses to appoint delegates in basically the same manner outlined in the current version of the UNC-CH Student Code, which was updated in April.

But both Ducote and Hiller said ASG's policy for delegate appointments is less of a requirement and more of a suggestion. Ducote said that, despite what the ASG code states, the group simply wants four voting members from each campus who are willing to contribute.

"For the time being, we're asking for just four delegates -- we're looking for consistency," he said. "That section has always kind of been a rule of thumb."

At first, Hiller only appointed two voting delegates along with two non-voting ones because of confusion over what the ASG required, although Title II Section 428 states that UNC-CH is guaranteed four votes. "Some read Title IV and some read Title II. ... There aren't many people that read both," said Speaker of Congress Tony Larson.

Since Hiller made the latest appointments in July, he and Larson were working to make sure the section in the UNC-CH Student Code pertaining to ASG delegates was on the same page with the association's, although the language hardly differs, according to Ducote's interpretation.

Hiller initially said the Student Code would need to be adjusted in the future, but after his appointments were confirmed by Congress. "We're not going to waste time," he said.

But when asked if, by confirming students not fitting the guidelines explicitly outlined in the Student Code he was essentially violating student bylaws, Hiller amended his earlier statement and said the section will be changed before his appointments are made final. "The rules need to be changed before any of those appointments become official," he said.

Hiller said the legislation needed to change the code should be ready today so that it can go before the Student Affairs Committee on Tuesday, the same day the appointed delegates are to be confirmed by the committee.

The full Student Congress will decide on both the legislation and the delegates Sept. 3.